584,861 active members*
4,970 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Planes

Planes

I am using rotated planes for the first time and have a couple quick questions:
    1) Is there any way to query how much a plane has been rotated?
    2) Is there any way to modify the amount a plane has been rotated instead of creating another new plane?

And somewhat related:
    1) If I created a plane off of a surface, is there any way to determine what the angles are between that plane and the original base plane? In other words, I have a solid model that has a feature that is at a compound angle to my base plane. I create a new plane using that surface, that works great. But how can I find out what the angles are relative to the X and Y axis of the original base plane?

Thanks.

Re: Planes

I'm not familiar with the current generation of Mastercam,but I do have several thousand hours on an older version.You should be able to rotate any of the planes by the amount you choose (thats C-plane,G-plane and T-plane) the method should be accessible from the help tab.If you have simply spun the job until it sort of looks right and then created features you should be able to interrogate some of these features to determine their relationship to known lines,planes or axes.If you still can't find the numbers you are looking for,you could always post-process the relevant toolpath for the feature and see what values appear for A,B or C axes.This will allow you to assign names for the C-planes and I assume you use T-plane=C-plane.

If you right click on the plane and click "edit" you can rotate the plane as you wish. Routalot is correct. No way to know the angles of existing planes without creating and analyzing geometry or posting code.

Re: Planes

Thanks for the replies. I will see what I can learn based off the info.