584,805 active members*
5,223 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > PlanetCNC > Fusion 360/Planet CNC Post Processor Issue

Question Fusion 360/Planet CNC Post Processor Issue

I have a 3 axis DIY machine that I am controlling with Planet CNC MK3/4 board. I am creating my models in Fusion 360, but am having trouble finding a good post processor for my machine.

The closest that I have gotten to a post processor that works is a bosch post. I modified it to have it stop writing G53 codes. These were causing the machine to rapid to machine zero and cutting right through my part.

Everything works well now except for the move to the first cutting location. Prior to this move, the post issues a G54 command which is taking the cutter to the top of the model. It stays at that level during the move to the first cutting location.

Does anyone know how to change this in either Fusion 360 or by editing the Post Processor?

Re: Fusion 360/Planet CNC Post Processor Issue

This is a serious, if not terminal problem when choosing a machine controller. If it is not main stream like Mach for instance and you cannot write your own PP`s you are jiggered.
    Planet cnc did offer a PP for Solidworks some months ago but it did not work. - The big question then is who should or could write them?
    The machine controller producers certainly do not highlight this conundrum and most CAM companies understandably only produce PP`s for commercial use, excepting the token Mach 3/4 PP in some cases.
    Maybe hobbyists should apply some pressure to hobby machine controller sellers for more PP program input instead of them copping out by writing pages of unintelligible guidance about how to write your own?

PlanetCNC TNG is compatible with LinuxCNC, so should run code that runs on that controller.

I use gcode on my Mach3 powered mill that is generated for use with TNG, that so far, has worked correctly.

I don't see how we could expect PlanetCNC (or any other control manufacturer) to write postprocessors for lathes, mills, 4/5 axis machines, toolchangers, wire eroders and 3d printers etc, for every CAM system out there - there're too many possible permutations to cover all bases .

G53 is designed to move the tool to a safe position for tool changes. All you need to do is supply Fusion 360 with suitable XYZ coordinates.

This issue is not so simple.

PlanetCNC should work with Mach and with LinuxCNC postprocessors. So it is kind of mainstream.
    Problem is that postprocessors are machine specific and are often tailor made. That is why it is hard to find one that works out of box. There are just too many options possible.

A colleague uses Fusion 360 (with PlanetCNC TNG) at almost professional level. I asked him for his postprocessor and he told me that he uses default one that came with Fusion 360. I tried and is true - default one works.
    Another colleague runs CNC lathe (with PlanetCNC TNG running on RPi). He uses LinuxCNC post. He did modified it to handle radius and diameter mode.

I'm trained in SolidCAM and I wrote my own post which will be available with new TNG version. My SolidCAM representative ensures me that all good SolidCAM representatives will write you post for your machine after you buy license.

All simpler CAMs that I know (Sheetcam, CamBAM, Vectric, Deskproto,...) have posts that are compatible with PlanetCNC.

Can I ask again. When is this new TNG version coming out. You are a long way past your last estimated issue date. Please indicate the status of your progress.

I have the same problem, dy cnc router, using Planet board 3/4 (9axes) and software. After quick info with Planet-cnc I am usung Linux-Emc PP with some pluses and minuses. First, there is a problem with G28 then G53. I have disable both because I have most of the time zero at the table not on top of the object.
    I manage to implement 2 statements in to f360 PP window for selecting (yes/no) f.e. vacc, but PP is not writing anny lines for that. Anny idea how to program that? I am not a programer ...

I have the same problem, dy cnc router, using Planet board 3/4 (9axes) and software. After quick info with Planet-cnc I am usung Linux-Emc PP with some pluses and minuses. First, there is a problem with G28 then G53. I have disable both because I have most of the time zero at the table not on top of the object google account manager.
    I manage to implement 2 statements in to f360 PP window for selecting (yes/no) f.e. vacc, but PP is not writing anny lines for that. Anny idea how to program that? I am not a programer ...
    If you want to add custom code to your post-processor to enable/disable certain features, you will need to have some basic programming knowledge to modify the post-processor code. Here are some steps that may help you:

Open the post-processor file in a text editor or the Fusion 360 Post Processor Editor.
    Look for the section of the code that generates the G-code for the feature you want to enable/disable. This will depend on the specific feature you are working with, so you may need to consult the documentation for your machine or post-processor.
    Add an if/else statement that checks whether the feature is enabled or disabled. For example, you could create a variable called "vacc_enabled" that is set to either "yes" or "no".
    Inside the if/else statement, add the code to generate the G-code for the feature only if the feature is enabled. If the feature is disabled, you can either leave out the code or add a comment to indicate that the code has been skipped.
    Save the modified post-processor file and use it to generate G-code in Fusion 360.

If you are not familiar with programming, I recommend reaching out to the Planet CNC support team or a qualified technician who can help you modify the post-processor code to meet your specific needs. They may also be able to provide you with a custom post-processor that is tailored to your machine and workflow.