585,741 active members*
5,183 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Fume exhaust filter

I'm currently running my 6040 laser cutter out of the cellar with the standard PC-fan type extraction in it. The smoke gets blown out of a window. However, I would like to stay on good terms with the neighbors, so I want to add a filter to the extraction piping. I've bought an inline fan with double the capacity of the current fan. This will be placed on the end of the extraction piping (less than 3 meters long) with a filter box in between.

Regarding the filter box: I find simple filter boxes with "cloth" filters rated G3. The info I've found about this filter class is:

G - Filters for coarse dust particles - Efficient for particles ? 10 ?m (EN 779)
    Examples of separated particles material: Flower pollen, Pollen, Fog
    Recommendation for application:
    - Waste air of painting boxes and kitchens
    - Protection against the pollution of air conditioning and compact instruments (e.g. window air conditioning, fans)
    - Pre - filters for the filtration classes F7 and F8( it is necessary only for heavy polluted input air)
    - Pre filters and circulation filters for public protection equipments

Since I'm not looking to re-circulate the air, but rather remove most of the smoke from the exhaust I was wondering if this might be sufficient. One more upside: replacement filters are pretty cheap and you can even have filters you can clean to re-use.

Or should I invest in a filter of a higher class (e.g. M5)?

- Niels

Re: Fume exhaust filter

You are trying to reduce odors, right? Look into inline charcoal filters for grow rooms. Most are sealed but, some you can take apart & replace the charcoal. Or you can even make your own. It is complete overkill & inefficient to try to filter out all of the smoke particles. An electrostatic filter would work pretty good but, they are a little pricey.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TokinSpokane View Post
    You are trying to reduce odors, right? Look into inline charcoal filters for grow rooms. Most are sealed but, some you can take apart & replace the charcoal. Or you can even make your own. It is complete overkill & inefficient to try to filter out all of the smoke particles. An electrostatic filter would work pretty good but, they are a little pricey.

I did look at these, but you need to put them after the exhaust fan to have the benefit. This means your fan is still exposed to the smoke. Maybe a combination of the two might be a possible solution...

- Niels

Quote Originally Posted by niels_r View Post
    I did look at these, but you need to put them after the exhaust fan to have the benefit. This means your fan is still exposed to the smoke. Maybe a combination of the two might be a possible solution...

- Niels
    Incorrect. You can install it either way.