584,841 active members*
4,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 2018 Haas VF2 shuts down on low power code 160

2018 Haas VF2 shuts down on low power code 160

I have a 2018 Haas VF2 hooked up to a Phase Perfect PT380 phase converter. The machine operates fine except when it jumps in RPM from 2500 to 5000 RPM. The machine shuts down on low power alarm 160. The electrician is measuring 240V AC three phase with no measurable voltage drop when the machine shuts down. The Phase Perfect engineers suggested installing a load reactor after the phase converter which has been don with no success. The Haas technicians claim that it is a power problem and that the new mills have sophisticated voltage monitoring software that checks for voltage drop. The electrician has been monitoring voltage and is not seeing a drop. Haas says that the voltage drop occurs so fast that a normal voltage meter can't catch it. Does anyone out there have similar issues or have any suggestions on what ot try next?

Re: 2018 Haas VF2 shuts down on low power code 160

Put a scope on it to monitor the voltage. Sounds like the Haas is a bit over sensitive.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi Jim, Thanks we are going to try that. Shouldn't a typical hand held volt meter be able to detect voltage drop even if it is very fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    Hi Jim, Thanks we are going to try that. Shouldn't a typical hand held volt meter be able to detect voltage drop even if it is very fast?
    My pleasure

No, the update rate on even a good digital meter is about 0.5 second, won't catch fast transients. An old analog meter might catch it, but probably not accurately. If the transit is fast enough, connecting a small 3 phase motor to the line might help, maybe 1 hp or so, but not sure about that.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Some flukes have a min max feature that might work. The best of course would be a scope. Can you get Haas to prove it perhaps? I know with phase converters it's sort of a guilty until proven innocent theory. If the machine is that sensitive it's going to cause issues with normal 3 phase I'd guess.

You could slow the Accel rate, that could help, say limit it to 150% instead of 200%

I have asked the Haas tech about changing the accel rate and they say that is very difficult if not impossible to do.