584,830 active members*
5,964 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Eding CPU2 Laser question.

In 2006 I bought a CNC machine from Bert Eding, the owner of Eding CNC.
    It came with the CPU2 controller board.
    It is hard to find any documentation on the CPU2 controller, but from what I can see it supports:
    4 axes, End-Stop on 4 axes, Spindel On/Off, Cooling Mist, Cooling Flood, Tool...

Over the years I have been very satisfied with the machine, it isn't huge, just 585x370mm workarea, but it's enough for me.
    Recently I purchased a cheapish 15W LED Laser module from AliExpress, as I didn't want to shell out the big bucks for a 60-80W CO2 laser setup.... yet.
    It can be PWM controlled, but by just applying 12V, it outputs max power, whether this actually is 15W remains to be seen.
    I have already test cut up to 10mm balsa (in 3 passes at 600mm/min, slightly black) and 3mm balsa in 1 pass at 600mm/min (nice brown color).

When I plug the laser into the mains, it doesn't switch on yet, but produces a very low wattage aiming laser-point.
    Not until I press a small switch on the laser does the full 15W come out.

My problem now is, how to make USBCNC control the on/off switching of the laser.

Bert Eding, build-up the electronics in such a way that on top of the Z-axis there are 2 220V power sockets installed.
    One is constantly supplying 220V AC, the other one is controlled by the Spindle On/Off of the controller board.
    As in "laser mode" the USBCNC software uses the Spindel On/Off channel to switch the laser beam, it would be the simpelest way to hook up the switch of the laser to this outlet.

But...
    The Spindel On/Off outlet supplies 220V, I just need a relay (preferably solid state) to act as the switch on the laser.

I have searched the internet, there are plenty of solid state relays that will take a 12V input to switch a 220V output.
    But I would need one that uses a 220V AC input to just connect 12V DC circuit.

Does anyone have an idea how I could solve this?

Thnx.

Re: Eding CPU2 Laser question.

You could buy a DC solid state relay (eg 12V or 24V are common voltages) and simply drive the input from 240V through a dropper resistor eg a metal clad power resistor, using a small rectifier bridge to create a DC input voltage (thus avoiding a negative voltage on the input). DC SSRs use FETs on their output, rather than the triac used in an AC SSR, so the "on" voltage will be lower - and more importantly you will be able to turn it off! If you use an AC SSR on DC, it will stay turned on once triggered, which would be rather annoying.

You might be able to use a simple optoisolator rather than a DC SSR, depending on the current it needs to switch on the input to the Eding board. The main downside of that approach would be that you would probably need to mount the opto on a PCB and connect it up and it would require even more messing about with mains voltages.

Quote Originally Posted by Remklep View Post
    In 2006 I bought a CNC machine from Bert Eding, the owner of Eding CNC.
    It came with the CPU2 controller board.
    It is hard to find any documentation on the CPU2 controller, but from what I can see it supports:
    4 axes, End-Stop on 4 axes, Spindel On/Off, Cooling Mist, Cooling Flood, Tool...

Over the years I have been very satisfied with the machine, it isn't huge, just 585x370mm workarea, but it's enough for me.
    Recently I purchased a cheapish 15W LED Laser module from AliExpress, as I didn't want to shell out the big bucks for a 60-80W CO2 laser setup.... yet.
    It can be PWM controlled, but by just applying 12V, it outputs max power, whether this actually is 15W remains to be seen.
    I have already test cut up to 10mm balsa (in 3 passes at 600mm/min, slightly black) and 3mm balsa in 1 pass at 600mm/min (nice brown color).

When I plug the laser into the mains, it doesn't switch on yet, but produces a very low wattage aiming laser-point.
    Not until I press a small switch on the laser does the full 15W come out.

My problem now is, how to make USBCNC control the on/off switching of the laser.

Bert Eding, build-up the electronics in such a way that on top of the Z-axis there are 2 220V power sockets installed.
    One is constantly supplying 220V AC, the other one is controlled by the Spindle On/Off of the controller board.
    As in "laser mode" the USBCNC software uses the Spindel On/Off channel to switch the laser beam, it would be the simpelest way to hook up the switch of the laser to this outlet.

But...
    The Spindel On/Off outlet supplies 220V, I just need a relay (preferably solid state) to act as the switch on the laser.

I have searched the internet, there are plenty of solid state relays that will take a 12V input to switch a 220V output.
    But I would need one that uses a 220V AC input to just connect 12V DC circuit.

Does anyone have an idea how I could solve this?

Thnx.
    The best person to ask would be Eding himself he would tell you what you need to do if you email him his system has advanced since 2006 but what you have I'm sure he can get you up and running your laser

His system has always been good and is now one of the best there is
    Mactec54

Hello Muzzer, thanks for the reply.
    I was thinking maybe a 12V dc-dc solid state relay would work.
    I could use a 12V powersupply from an old phonecharger as the input.

mactec54,

That is a good idea Sir.
    I emailed Bert about 2 days ago and because of the holidays don't expect to hear from him anytime soon.
    But as it is with all things in life, it is a good idea to listen to different opinions, so I thought I would post here too.