585,962 active members*
3,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lots of small pieces getting stuck in honeycomb

I cut VERY intricate pieces out of wood/matboard. 1000s of cuts for every piece, and each of those pieces can range from being a small 1/8x1/8" square up to weird larger sizes. I'm having issues with these pieces getting stuck in the honeycomb thus meaning future sheets don't sit flat, and the bed is hard to clean after every job.

Are there other kinds of beds out there I could try? I cut at ~60w and when I tried a more solid aluminum bed, it heats up the bed and ignites the material, especially matboard. I though I could possibly use blades, however if a piece of odd geometry falls to the side, but does not fall to the bottom, I fear it will get hit by the head of the laser and move the sheet.

Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190320_131531.jpg   20190320_131519.jpg  

Re: Lots of small pieces getting stuck in honeycomb

I made a pin bed that I use for this. I drilled a grid of holes in some thick acrylic with my CNC router and stick pop rivets in them works really great

You need a pin type bed that holds your work piece up off the bed & has no holes for pieces to drop into. They are easy to make. I don't know if anybody sells this type of bed though. The pins should be long enough so that the laser loses focus before anything underneath gets burned. This also has the advantage of better airflow under the workpiece to extract the fumes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Since the work piece is 1/8" Birch, I do have a little issue with warping of the sheet itself. I think the pin idea is AWESOME though. Are there ways to flatten the worksheet onto pins?

As far as warped plywood, it's much easier to keep it flat than it is to fix it. Another suggestion would be to cut your stock into smaller sizes & lay edge to edge on the pins.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk