585,585 active members*
4,072 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > ArtCam Pro > Branding stamp help / roughing help

Branding stamp help / roughing help

Hi guys

Not new to CNC, but new to ArtCam. I've managed to cut out a few things and it worked quite well, but at this point I'm trying to design a branding stamp I will use for leather, here is an example.

I would like to make it quite small (size is 1.75x0.75")

Here is the same image in ArtCam with a v-bit carving applied (I am using 0.1mm 30 degree engraving bits for finish

The problem I'm having is that it is taking over 3 hours to produce this tiny piece on my machine (converted Bridgeport Series 1).

I would like to be able to use an endmill to clear some of the unwanted areas, but every time I add one in the "roughing tool" part of the v-bit carving menu (1/8 is the smallest I have), I get the error saying no material will be cut with the endmill. I'm okay with that, but there are some areas (the border around the letters for instance) that I don't need to be tapered with the v-bit. Ideally I would want it to be cut all around with the endmill (straight), and maybe a finishing cut on the top edge of it to make it smooth (even then, not a big deal).

How do I choose some areas to be cut with the endmill, and others with the v-bit specifically? I've tried adding more rectangles and selecting vectors and a bunch of different things, but I just can't seem to get it to work.

Here is a picture of the finished simulation:

The letters are perfect with the tapers, but as I mentioned, I don't need the outside borders to be tapered as well, it just adds so much unnecessary time, but I don't know how to get around it.

Any guidance would be appreciated! I'm just trying to lower my machining time.

On a side note, I saw someone else posted a picture of this somewhere,

Does anyone know what program that is from? I don't believe it's ArtCam

Re: Branding stamp help / roughing help

What are your speeds? Which bit? Depth per pass?

Example 60 degrees V-bit total depth 0,1"
    Attachment 415728

Example 30 degrees V-bit total depth 0,1"
    Attachment 415730

Created in Aspire
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by ZASto View Post
    What are your speeds? Which bit? Depth per pass?

Example 60 degrees V-bit total depth 0,1"
    Attachment 415728

Example 30 degrees V-bit total depth 0,1"
    Attachment 415730

Created in Aspire
    Thanks for replying!

I only run around 4000rpm (old tired iron ) since it is a real mill and not a router. Cutting in aluminum. Around 15 IPM in X and Y, and 6 IPM in Z. Total depth 0.125", 0.02" step down and 0.03" step over I believe. Do you think this sized bit (0.1mm 30 degree) could do more step down? Or crank up some other settings?

I'm guessing on a router based machine it could go a lot faster... Just trying to work with what I have.

By the way ZASto, if I wanted the border around the lettering to be cut straight (with an endmill lets say, doing all the outside as well as cutting the outside edge of the border), how would I do that in Aspire?