585,568 active members*
3,479 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy I screwed up!!!!

I got the T42 running, loaded all my tools for the first job. I thought all was going well. I then went to set the work offsets and entered the offset for Z in the X column.

In the operator guide, it says, "NEVER ENTER A VALUE INTO THE X AXIS".

There was a value in there that I replaced with a completely wrong number. I tried zero, that didn't work.

In the user guide, on that page, somebody hand wrote "-3.8360". I tried that number but no luck. I have pretty good documentation for this machine.

Does anyone know where I can find this number? How do I fix it if I can't find this number. I imagine I will need to take a super accurate measurement somewhere to get it right.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: I screwed up!!!!

We had to do this once due to a similar event. I going from my feeble memory here, but I think that is an absolute dimension from the machine X 0, which should be X home.

So if you home and make sure that is machine 0, then:

Then chuck up a piece of material and manually take a cut on it, you now know where the tool is in the X axis,

then measure the cut and add the radius to the dimension of the position, plus (minus?) the tool X offset, that should give you the absolute offset to the spindle C/L

I think the X tool offset is the distance from the tool tip to the turret edge.

Hopefully that will be the number that you lost. I think there is instructions in the book for this.

It's crap like this caused us to rip out everything that said Fanuc on it. Wait until the turret gets out of sync.

Best of luck.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I've had success making the X zero to the centre of a drill holder (or similar)...
    ...this would allow a tool offset of X=zero for a drilling tool

Shaggy,

In my experience with the T42: You should forget trying to use the Work Shift for your tools. Hardinge taught this method on all their machines in the 1990's. I never took to it. Some will argue the EUTOPIA of work shift with all the tools having the same touch off point. (SPINDLE FACE) I however am a JOB SHOP. (like most) And tools change out all the time in the turret. Yes, some stay the same, but many change. There are better, simpler methods of setting up and running a T42. Everyone has their own way. I find my method is simple and effective and eliminates the WORK SHIFT usage. I setup and program the machine how I see fit. Get a consistent result. Case closed! Some on here want to reinvent the wheel and sit around for weeks fiddling with ideologies.
    Bottom line: Parts need to be made and they need to get done in an efficient manner. A straight forward way is always best.

PM me if you want to learn more.