585,702 active members*
4,208 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > milling only on X and Z axis

milling only on X and Z axis

Hello everyone, I'm trying to make an attachment for my machine for polishing ball seat inside corners. I'm going to have a cotton dobber attached to a rotary tool. The tool will be able to rotate on the x axis. I'm having an issue programming anything that will let the tool move only on the Z and X axis. I attached an example image of what i'm trying to do. The image is a side view so the line going down would be the Z axis and going right would be the X axis. The rotary tool will basically make the dobber go down inside of the ball seat then the x axis movement would make the tool rotate. As the tool rotates it will make the curved polish i'm looking for (almost a 90 degree turn) When i try to use "mill 2 axis" on bobcad it just cuts a straight line at the depth it is set on. (the top view of this would just be a straight line, no Y axis movement) When I try to use "mill 3 axis" it won't use this line as a geometry or compute anything. Is there some way I can get the machine to move in the Z and X axis with bobcad? Thanks for taking the time to read this and all help is greatly appreciated. I tried to make this as clear as i could but if you need more information i'll provide what i can.

Re: milling only on X and Z axis

I don't know if I really understand your issue,but if that is what you truly want you can post code as usual and in Preditor Editor edit the code to get rid of movements you dont want,,however be careful what you do and have an idea of how g-code works.Preditor Editor can/should make it easy,but again the disclaimer mentioned above

I read again,and maybe on same page of what you are trying to do
    Give a try at 3D wireframe

Wireframe seems to be the ticket, thank you! the simulation is running it's movements twice, i'm not sure how to get it to run it just once?

I know very very little about gcode, I can make the machine move exactly where I want with gcode in mach3 but that's about it.