585,917 active members*
3,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Tips for etching into carbon steel with a Quench Polish Quench black finish?

Tips for etching into carbon steel with a Quench Polish Quench black finish?

I have access to 120 watt C02 and 100w Fiber lasers and had some mixed results. Im etching into carbon steel with a QPQ black finish and want the etching to be as bright and shiny metallic as possible. What settings should I be using? Im very new to the world of CNC and any help would be appreciated. My first attempt had a bit of a brown ugly tint to it on the C02 laser but when i took it to the fiber laser it had a more desired result but I still need to dial it in if im on the right machine. Is there a better laser I should be trying to find (not looking to buy). Thank you

Re: Tips for etching into carbon steel with a Quench Polish Quench black finish?

Fiber laser is a good machine for metal marking but don't use high power because it will burn the metal.Use high speed low power and think hatch and see.