584,871 active members*
5,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Boosting voltage between drivers and motors

Boosting voltage between drivers and motors

I currently use an all-in-one controller for my CNC router that I absolutely love with one exception: it limits my input voltage to 36V. Since it's self-contained, the control signals are converted to motion signals by the drivers internally, preventing me from using external drivers and a larger power supply.

Is it possible to boost the voltage going to the motors AFTER the controller with a boost converter? Would it have adverse effects on the controller given its 36-volt limit?

Alternatively, is there a way to translate/convert the motion signals coming out of the controller back to control signals, as they were before they reached the drivers? That would let me use my own drivers/power supply. The controller does not have external control-signal outputs.

Re: Boosting voltage between drivers and motors

A follower amplifier is really what you want, but the odds of one actually working in that application are slim. Not to mention the development time involved in building a device like this, then of course you need one for each channel of each motor.

It might be a lot easier to break out the step & direction signals from the controller and use external drives.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    It might be a lot easier to break out the step & direction signals from the controller and use external drives.
    I'd thought of this but as it's all on one integrated PCB I don't see how it could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by retrosmith View Post
    I'd thought of this but as it's all on one integrated PCB I don't see how it could be done.
    It would require looking at the data sheets for the driver chips and find which pins are the step & direction signals. Then tap into those. I think you would be looking for the CLK and CW/CCW pins. This would require some electronics experience, and some test equipment.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Appreciate the info. Sadly, I don't think I love this controller quite that much. I'll either find some more efficient motors or switch controllers.