584,812 active members*
5,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Arduino > Universal gcode sender does not behave as expected on my machine

Universal gcode sender does not behave as expected on my machine

I have build a cnc machine and I'm controlling it using the Arduino uno and universal gcode sender. At least, I'm trying to control it. I'm trying to figure out how to set steps per mm and UGCS is not behaving like expected. I use standard 200 step/ revolution stepper motors and 1605 ball screws. My controllers are set for whole steps (no microstepping.) My screws have a 5mm pitch, so each full rotation advances the nuts 5mm. so 200 steps/ 5mm. For 1 mm, that would be 200/5=40 steps. When I input this on UGCS using the command "$100=40" (for x), all it seems to do is increase and decrease speed of the motors (with increasing or decreasing values). When I want to jog the x-axis by 1mm, it's closer to 200mm. Am I using the wrong calculations?

Re: Universal gcode sender does not behave as expected on my machine

Your setting seems OK.

• Check the step size in the USG program, maybe it is not set to jog 1 mm
    • Check if the position as shown in the USG program changes 1 mm when you jog 1 mm.
    • Execute the next line in the UGS command window, your machine should jog Axis X, 1 mm at 10 mm/min
      G21G91X1F10

Please report the results

Thanks for your input. I've been a bit busy but I'll give it a try and report back.

I think I've fixed it. Don't know what I did wrong but it works now. I had to set the steps per mm to 80 though, which would mean that my steppers are set for 1/2 microstepping (they aren't)
    I ran a test gcode file and the machine runs it just fine, The code is unmodified and probably meant for smaller machines(?) so it starts making quite the racket when the machine starts audibly going step by step at the end of some curve. Fun times. Time to get some actual work done on there.

One more question: when I input a soft zero for the machine, should I use the maximum minus (-) travel or the maximum plus travel?

Great to hear things are working!

One more question: when I input a soft zero for the machine, should I use the maximum minus (-) travel or the maximum plus travel?
    I guess you mean soft limits. This value is the maximum travel from the reference point. It is a positive value. Look at this page for some explanation.
    https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Grbl-v1.1-Configuration#20---soft-limits-boolean