584,846 active members*
4,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > New Servo Drives for Old Home built machine

New Servo Drives for Old Home built machine

Hey Guys;
    I don't need help but a little advice will surely be appreciated. My existing machine uses gecko 320's but they have been in service for many years. I've chased driver faults over the years and they seem to happen at the worst possible moment. I have a 3 axis setup of dmm tech system (less power supply) that I was going to install but the servo motors are larger than my old style nema 34's and I don't want to rebuild the entire system just because of the drivies. I'm going to list this system at a later date but if there is any interest, send me a PM. Back to my original problem, I looked on ebay and there is an australia firm called machdrives that are interesting. But knowing there are many other drives (leadshine comes to mind) available today as compared to those available when I built my machine, I want to get a decent brushed servo dc drive and not break the bank. Anyone have any advice for this old retired gent?
    Bill

These are the drives that caught my attention:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails arm servo drive.jpg  
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Re: New Servo Drives for Old Home built machine

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Hey Guys;
    I don't need help but a little advice will surely be appreciated. My existing machine uses gecko 320's but they have been in service for many years. I've chased driver faults over the years and they seem to happen at the worst possible moment. I have a 3 axis setup of dmm tech system (less power supply) that I was going to install but the servo motors are larger than my old style nema 34's and I don't want to rebuild the entire system just because of the drivies. I'm going to list this system at a later date but if there is any interest, send me a PM. Back to my original problem, I looked on ebay and there is an australia firm called machdrives that are interesting. But knowing there are many other drives (leadshine comes to mind) available today as compared to those available when I built my machine, I want to get a decent brushed servo dc drive and not break the bank. Anyone have any advice for this old retired gent?
    Bill

These are the drives that caught my attention:
    Depending on what size motors you have DMM have both types nema and ISO mounting so you may be able to change them, I don't think you want to go with anything DC especially brushed but it is your choice
    Mactec54

Brushed DC motors will be even larger than the DMM motors for the same torque, even more so if they have tacho's fitted which you will need if you are using velocity control. Dave

Thanks Guys;
    I bought the DMM package from another on this site so trade in is not in the stars. My wood router is not used very often but when it is, I want it to be trustworthy. Accuracy for wood is not as critical as metal so dc motor replacement drives will work in this case without giving up my entire control system. Lotz of other features builtin already.
    Thanks for the response.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)