585,708 active members*
3,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Slant Lathe > What CAM product are folks using for the Slant Bed Lathe?

What CAM product are folks using for the Slant Bed Lathe?

I've got SprutCAM 12 but that's giving me headaches with basic stuff such as part orientation and the tool library so I'm starting to look at other products for turning CAM. What do other folks use? I'm thinking to try the Mecsoft Turn product, for example.

Mike

Re: What CAN product are folks using for the Slant Bed Lathe?

Why not try Fusion 360, works well for me and it's free.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: What CAN product are folks using for the Slant Bed Lathe?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Why not try Fusion 360, works well for me and it's free.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a subscription for F360 but really don't like the way it does CAD. My backup plan is to use it for just CAM - if you have the Tormach lathe have you used F360 CAM for that?

Re: What CAM product are folks using for the Slant Bed Lathe?

I have a Hardinge CNC lathe and I use Fusion 360 exclusively for that. Fusion CAM does take some getting used to, but I have made a lot of different parts with it.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi Mike.

So far I have been able to get by with Pathpilot conversational and a bit of hand editing. But I realise it will not be ideal for more complex shapes. I have also used my Bobcadcam mill pro and created a 2D X Y toolpath for more complex shapes. then adjusted it to X Z for the lathe - again not ideal. Really, I also need to learn a lathe CAM package.

Cliff

An invitation to check out our KipwareT® ... conversational CNC cam for turning.
    https://www.kentechinc.com/kipwaret.html
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChip View Post
    An invitation to check out our KipwareT® ... conversational CNC cam for turning.
    https://www.kentechinc.com/kipwaret.html
    Thank you.
    Hi - It looks similiar to pathpilot coversational. Have you compared the two, and if so what are the key differences?

Cliff

One difference is that KipwareT can handle multiple operations in a single program ... Tormach milling owners especially like that capability but it's just as effective in turning.
    KipwareT is not locked to the machine if placed say on a laptop ... take it anywhere ... even program multiple non-conversational machines conversationally.
    ID / OD contours can be made up of an unlimited number of steps with any kind of tapers and radii ... all conversationally.
    KipwareT can read in DXF files for "non standard" type shapes.
    KipwareT has quite a few more conversational menus ... with many more options in grooving ... ball turning ... radius grooves and others.
    Threading menus are quite extensive with the ability to even create programs for multi taper threads ... along with many user options to control thread machining for all types of threads.
    Not applicable to the Tormach lathe but it also has options for Live Tool ... Y Axis ... and Sub Spindle conversational programming.

We have a lot of in-depth videos on our YouTube channel :
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...o_fRGloXIIPzDw

Thank you ...

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi Mike.

So far I have been able to get by with Pathpilot conversational and a bit of hand editing. But I realise it will not be ideal for more complex shapes. I have also used my Bobcadcam mill pro and created a 2D X Y toolpath for more complex shapes. then adjusted it to X Z for the lathe - again not ideal. Really, I also need to learn a lathe CAM package.

Cliff
    Cliff - conversational works for some projects but iteration is so much faster with CAM (when it works) that I'd rather have a good option there. Then too, the simulation in SprutCAM is pretty handy and also useful. I watched a webinair on VisualCAM Turn today and that looks like a good candidate, so I'll probably trial it in the next few days.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Cliff - conversational works for some projects but iteration is so much faster with CAM (when it works) that I'd rather have a good option there. Then too, the simulation in SprutCAM is pretty handy and also useful. I watched a webinair on VisualCAM Turn today and that looks like a good candidate, so I'll probably trial it in the next few days.

Mike
    Great. Let us know what you think of it. Cliff

Conversational and then Fusion for anything that's more complex. Very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDW View Post
    Conversational and then Fusion for anything that's more complex. Very happy with it.
    Scott - do you use it with the Tormach Slant Bed lathe, and if so, with turret, gang tooling, or quick change?

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Great. Let us know what you think of it. Cliff
    Will do.

Mike,

With the Slant and I use the turret and a 3+1 gang setup.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDW View Post
    Mike,

With the Slant and I use the turret and a 3+1 gang setup.
    That's my setup, too. I gave F360 a try the other and it seems that I still don't think the way it does. The help system has plenty of suggestions for problem search terms but it takes a while to slog through them. I'm going to have to dedicate some serious time to F360's YouTube channel. At least, I know that F360 is doable with the Slant Bed.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I'm going to have to dedicate some serious time to F360's YouTube channel. At least, I know that F360 is doable with the Slant Bed.

I might suggest the Titans of CNC Academy https://academy.titansofcnc.com/ It's free and and simple to follow, step by step, best Fusion 360 tutorial I have found. Has both mill and lathe courses, takes you from zero, to drawing, to CAM, to machining parts in a very short time. I went from zero to making chips in a week and I'm old & slow.

Fusion 360 works great for slant bed and both of my mills, just a bit of a learning curve.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I might suggest the Titans of CNC Academy https://academy.titansofcnc.com/ It's free and and simple to follow, step by step, best Fusion 360 tutorial I have found. Has both mill and lathe courses, takes you from zero, to drawing, to CAM, to machining parts in a very short time. I went from zero to making chips in a week and I'm old & slow.

Fusion 360 works great for slant bed and both of my mills, just a bit of a learning curve.
    Thanks, I'll take a look at Titans' videos after I try the Mecsoft VisualCAD/CAM demo, which includes a Turn module. Their Turn Getting Started video made more sense to me me.