585,581 active members*
3,678 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Cable Shielding

I will end up with slightly long cable runs on a 4x4ft. XYZ router table. My question is with stepper motors, AC powered router, do all cables need to be shielded? (motor, limits, router) If not which ones can you get away with un-shielded?

Re: Cable Shielding

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Hopeless View Post
    I will end up with slightly long cable runs on a 4x4ft. XYZ router table. My question is with stepper motors, AC powered router, do all cables need to be shielded? (motor, limits, router) If not which ones can you get away with un-shielded?
    For a new install you want to do everything, but Grounding and shield Grounding is important how this is done determines how successful it will be
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ground Star Point.PNG   Ground Bus.jpg  
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    For a new install you want to do everything, but Grounding and shield Grounding is important how this is done determines how successful it will be
    Limit switches also . Can a pair of switches use the same shielded wire for example the +X/-X limits wired with 3-20awg sharing a common ground/source?

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Hopeless View Post
    Limit switches also . Can a pair of switches use the same shielded wire for example the +X/-X limits wired with 3-20awg sharing a common ground/source?
    Sure they can you normally use twisted pairs for any of the low voltage wires, low voltage sometimes have to use a isolated Common, and not connected to High voltage main Star Ground, as high frequency noise on the main Ground can cause problem on low voltage Commons

Cat6 Shielded cable has even been used for limit switch wire, just a hint
    Mactec54

The least expensive shielded wire I was able to find was from CNC ROUTER PARTS they have them listed with their kits but I'm sure you could purchase them separately. I used to have an old diy table that had many issues and one was I was getting interference so I started looking for shielded wire found it there & ended up purchasing a 4896 pro kit from them