584,842 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Which water mixture to use for water cooled spindle ...

Which water mixture to use for water cooled spindle ...

.... Please disregard - I've chosen to buy some car radiator coolant which will be thinned with demineralized water. Cheers, Jesper

Hi All,

I have just bought a 2.2 kW water cooled spindle for my CNC and now am considering which water mixture to use to cool the spindle. I have seen that some use a mixture of demineralized water and the coolant used in car radiators but before buying this would just like to ask others what they have good experience with. Preferably I'd like to use something that is odorless, environmentally friendly, and basically close to just demineralized water, if possible ...

Thanks for any advice here,

Jesper

Re: Which water mixture to use for water cooled spindle ...

I used XSPC ECX ultra concentrate coolant and distilled water. I'm running a closed loop PC cooler and the combination works great. I figured that the PC coolant is made for this type of application vs automotive coolant, also it's non toxic and biodegradable so you don't have to worry about disposal when you change the coolant. I know you said you already got something, but if you haven't installed it yet you might want to use the PC coolant.

Dan

Hi ... well, as I wrote I actually have bought some car radiator coolant but as I am most always after more environmentally friendly ways of doing things I took a look at the fluid you suggest. However, looking at XSPC's webpages I notice that they say it is 85% biodegradable in 30 days - IMHO this is not really biodegradable as the remaining substances may be either non-degradable or only degradable in the long term. Also, since here in Denmark we have a very good chemical disposal system I will keep it as it is ... But thanks for considering ;-)

Cheers,

Jesper

Just figured I'd throw it out there. The ironic thing is I live in California probably one of the strictest enforced places in the world. And they make it almost impossible to dispose of things like antifreeze and brake fluid. You can't even wash your car in your driveway, but they have one disposal location with in 100mi once every 3 months. And the county I live in the population is over 50% of your entire Country. Europe is so much more efficient than here in the states.

I'm in California as well, use distilled water and prestone. Getting rid of it is easy for me. Put it in the car, drive 5 miles, the guy takes it out of the car for me, scans my drivers licence and away I go. 3 minutes tops. Same place takes ANY household chemical and CFL's. You can even pick up paint and household chemicals for free from them.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    I'm in California as well, use distilled water and prestone. Getting rid of it is easy for me. Put it in the car, drive 5 miles, the guy takes it out of the car for me, scans my drivers licence and away I go. 3 minutes tops. Same place takes ANY household chemical and CFL's. You can even pick up paint and household chemicals for free from them.
    There's none near Temecula, and none of the parts stores take that stuff anymore. Like I said around here there's only one place and they only have disposal days once every few months. Where do you go so I can see if they have a location in our area?

Thanks

Its actually part of the waste recycle center, or transfer station. My dad has the same thing in his county. Says you have Riverside county abop, not sure how close you are to that.
    https://temeculaca.gov/Faq.aspx?QID=168

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Hi guys, found this thread right on time. How often are you changing the water/coolant in your spindles or reservoirs?

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Why would he scan your drivers license for doing the right thing?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Why would he scan your drivers license for doing the right thing?
    It's only to verify your address. You have to live in the county you drop it off in.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk