Em..
You are extremely talented and at the top-end of industrial designers if you are participating in the design of carbon-fiber yacht hulls.
These tend to be pre-preg today for manufacturing and custom ovens/baking for the bigger ones racing.
All use vacuum infusion.
Pre-preg is frozen cf substrates with epoxy that the customer bakes into shape in their facility.
I cast no aspersions and make no snide comments.

But CF yacht hulls for 15 years have a dismal record.
They break, fail, don´t last, despite 50M$ budgets for a single yacht (americas cup, fastnet, others).
Yacht loads are not well understood, today, and no current FEA sw and design practice has done well with them.
I believe 1.5 years ago one of the maxi hulls broke apart in testing, no storm, australia maybe.

Imo, the problem is that yacht loads are 5x bigger in torsion than expected and 100x higher in common impact loads due to waves/wind/speed/mass acting against each other.
The dashews website setsail had data on 3-5g loads acting on their alu hulls, of 28 metric tons, 24 m, FPB Wind Horse.

A modern VMC, 1 m table, VF3//, 1.5 kW servo, 1000 kg table, will react in 1 ms.
So will my shop built vmc, with 200 kg table and 200 kg of stuff on it.

The inertial load is huge, but that does not mean the machine frame has anything to do with it.
Modern VMCs are bolted to the floor, but not tight.
They are bolted loose/light to achieve a flat table/machine frame.
According to haas manuals, training, and the 4 millwrights I had working while selling 65 machines.

And most-all other brands, where the (industrial engineer) millwrights had worked at least 10 years.
And the extensive training I/we got at the factory and our shop, as the biggest/best haas hfo in the world.
Trained by the best guys in the world, who designed the new (ST series) machines (Hi Miltons!).

---
Example.
Milling machine, cheap tech.
400 kg mass for my old mill table was absolutely nothing with Nema 23 steppers, 48V, 3Nm, 1:3 HTD belts.
Push force approx 600 kgf, 6000 N.
More than 1G acceleration, and mills need less (quite a bit less).

It juddered and had extreme response speed, quite similar or better to a HAAS, at 1 ms response, with a 100€ pokeys controller, 125 kHz.
And an MPG, 100 counts.

I switched to 400W ac servos for commercial reasons.
1.3 Nm cont, 3.9 Nm peak, 3000 rpm, 5000 count, 400 kHz+.

And I may go to direct-drive, again for commercial reasons only.
The stuff needs to look-good on paper, thus it must use modern commercial-type stuff.

The belt drives got 1 micron resolution, and direct drive might struggle with that at 5 mm screw rise, on new 32/5 screws.
I expect actual resolution to be 1-2-4 microns, with 1 micron repeatability being achievable via clever programming or fixtures and hard stops and external digital 1 micron readouts read back into programs.
My goal is 1 micron feature accuracy on small work cubes.

I did not say "accuracy" overall of 1 um or general resolution of 1 um.
The lathe has 1 um resolution, using 750W servos of 10.000 counts.

When I get a spare 3k, the VMC might get the upgraded servos as well.

I try to explain my reasoning, not be "better".

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
Hi Hanermo
From 500g bicycle frames, carbon fibre yachts to 50 tonne trailers carrying 900T trucks they all ask me to remove weight yet achieve their performance criteria. That's the workspace I live in. I'm happy you agree with some things and happy to keep you entertained and it's great your participating.
Peter