584,802 active members*
5,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > Using the finished shape from one setup as the stock body of the next?

Using the finished shape from one setup as the stock body of the next?

Hi,

I'd like to use the finished shape of the stock from a prior setup as the stock body of a following one. So far I've been making bodies in the model that correspond to the output of each setup but that seems dumb. What have I missed?

Regards, David.

Re: Using the finished shape from one setup as the stock body of the next?

Hi David

Yes, you can do this in Fusion, it is quite easy, maybe the following images will help you a little.

Once you have run the simulation for the first Setup Right Click and the following drop down list will appear, go to the bottom of the list and put the cursor over the "Stock" option, then on the list that then opens go to "Save Stock" and click on it, this will open access to your Hard Drive where you can select where you want to save the file to, it will be saved as a .STL format file.

When you want to use the saved stock for the next Setup you open up the simulation and Right Click as before and on the drop down list choose "Stock" then "Load Stock" and that should open the folder where you saved the stock .STL file to, select it and then "Open" and it will now be in your simulation cut as per your previous Setup.

So now you should have the shape that you cut with the previous Setup as below.

Hope that is of some small help to you
    Regards
    Rob

Thanks! It's weird you can't just choose the output of a previous setup as the stock for the current one. I guess it could become out of date too easily as you're changing toolpaths in the previous setup and not simulating them or something.

I've just tried this and it seems to bring in the location settings from the stock I'm loading rather than using the ones I set for the current setup.

I'm milling 4 copies of a part using a linear pattern and saving the stock after that setup.

The next setup does two of a similar part with a linear pattern and I've offset them from the left by over 100mm to make them miss the first 4.

I simulate the first setup and save it.

Start to simulate the second setup, and the location of the model on the stock looks good.

Then I load the stock and the part (and toolpaths) are moved back to the left where the first setup started.

What do you reckon? A bug, or expected behaviour and I'm just asking too much?

Regards, David.

Seems to work fine here, did you set a stock for the second setup at the new location? You need to do that as Fusion uses the stock position of the first setup if it hasn`t been changed in the second one.
    Have a look through the attached Fusion file iin the Zip folder below.
    Here is an image of what I get.

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Rob

Thanks Rob. I see your two bodies are separated in the model view whereas mine are both in the same place. Your stock origins for the two setups are different too. I can replicate your result using your file so that should be enough info to let me figure it out.

I thought the position of the bodies in 'model space' would be irrelevant, and having the same stock origin and offsetting the second setup far enough along in the X axis was the logical thing to do.