584,805 active members*
5,063 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > FineLine Automation > Inductive Proximity Switch Mounting - Vertical vs. Horizontal
Page 2 of 2 12
    Ntl Guest

Re: Inductive Proximity Switch Mounting - Vertical vs. Horizontal

So I did what you said and measured the inside of the spindle. And got 0.0008" not sure if that's exeptable definitely better than my first measurement of the end mill.

I think the reason the first time it was so bad was the collet seat had a bunch of wood dust caked in it.

I cleaned it out and rechecked the end mill shank and I was right at 0.001". I already bought the Techniks collets on Gerry's advise, but I still have the factory collet nut.

So I don't know if I should be concerned about the left over run out or if it's close to what it should be. I never looked it up to see what it should be.

Thanks guys for the info and sorry for getting away from the post topic.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    So I did what you said and measured the inside of the spindle. And got 0.0008" not sure if that's exeptable definitely better than my first measurement of the end mill.

I think the reason the first time it was so bad was the collet seat had a bunch of wood dust caked in it.

I cleaned it out and rechecked the end mill shank and I was right at 0.001". I already bought the Techniks collets on Gerry's advise, but I still have the factory collet nut.

So I don't know if I should be concerned about the left over run out or if it's close to what it should be. I never looked it up to see what it should be.

Thanks guys for the info and sorry for getting away from the post topic.

Dan

You hope for .00008" or better, but that is probably unattainable in cheaper Chinese routers. I guessing that spec is more applicable to metal mills than wood routers/spindles. Techniks standard collets are within .0002. They also have an ultra precision line, but I don't know the specs for it. For me, I don't have any instruments capable of measuring down to .00001. Probably safe to say that most hobbyists don't.

I clean the collet and seat after each use. I clean again before starting a new project and when doing cutter changes. IMO, clean is king!

Gary

Ntl Guest

Thanks Gary.

Back to your sensors, what ever you do don't mount them on the gantry like I did on my y axis. It's very hard to adjust them unless I remove my motors, I should have thought about it before I mounted them. I just figured I'd do it the way Fineline does, but like I said it's a pain to adjust them. Granted you shouldn't have to do it a lot I would assume after you have it dialed. Just figured I'd let you know since I don't know how far you got with the machine you sent back.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Thanks Gary.

Back to your sensors, what ever you do don't mount them on the gantry like I did on my y axis. It's very hard to adjust them unless I remove my motors, I should have thought about it before I mounted them. I just figured I'd do it the way Fineline does, but like I said it's a pain to adjust them. Granted you shouldn't have to do it a lot I would assume after you have it dialed. Just figured I'd let you know since I don't know how far you got with the machine you sent back.

Dan

Thanks for the tip, Dan. I'll keep your comments in mind when I get to the point of finalizing placement.

Gary

Page 2 of 2 12