585,602 active members*
3,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > DIY Power drawbar what are the options...

DIY Power drawbar what are the options...

My first thoughts were to automate changing the R8 collets which would be hugely useful as it's a PITA to change them,

But then I see tormach TTS - appears to be a good design and holders don't appear to be too expensive

I also see TTS style 3/4 collet chucks on ebay - but seem to be lacking the wide collar that I think is used to get the correct Z height?
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mqkAA...C1/s-l1600.jpg

Re: DIY Power drawbar what are the options...

Quote Originally Posted by men8ifr View Post
    My first thoughts were to automate changing the R8 collets which would be hugely useful as it's a PITA to change them,

But then I see tormach TTS - appears to be a good design and holders don't appear to be too expensive

I also see TTS style 3/4 collet chucks on ebay - but seem to be lacking the wide collar that I think is used to get the correct Z height?
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mqkAA...C1/s-l1600.jpg
    the wide flange is revealed if i'm not mistaken and needs to contact the face of the spindle nose, not the collet.

what you saw on the ebay link.. you could add a flange to that but i find it difficult to believe it would be worth your time.. perhaps it is. but you can't just add a washer.. it needs to be fairly well bonded to the collet chuck so that you can grind the flange/face of the collar precisely in line with the axis of the 3/4" bore and the er taper.

and you may have to regrind the taper anyways if that is a cheap collet chuck from china.

https://www.maritool.com/tool-holder...duct_info.html
    is 1.5" large enough to contact the nose of the spindle? (you would need to flatten the face of the r8 collet, but that's easy)

Re: DIY Power drawbar what are the options...

From what I've read, TTS is a pretty low-power holding system. Seems to be good to around 6-10 ft-lbs of torque and up to around 1.5 HP.
    It is inexpensive though, and easy to retrofit to most R8 (and MT3 I think,) mills.

There are Chinese TTS clone holders, with the flange and all, but from what I've seen (from others, never ordered any myself,) the quality isn't as good as Tormach. There's actually quite a bit that goes into those TTS holders. The TTS flange must be relieved to allow for the collet to have some clearance or the flange won't seat correctly.