584,830 active members*
6,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Making Parts

Making Parts

Made 6.25" focuser parts today. 8.75" x 8.875" x 0.625" plate mounted in fixture with three MityBite XYZ pins

Finding X Y datum using center tool on tooling ball

Attachment 416416

Finding Z datum using height tool #1

Attachment 416418

X Y Z axis zeroed

Attachment 416420

Fly cutting part to 1/2" thickness

Attachment 416422

Fly cut plate

Attachment 416424

Cutting out part using 1/2" endmill

Attachment 416426

Re: Making Parts

Nice job Don. Don’t ya love these machines.

Would be nice if they were 3 horsepower but I do just fine with 1.5. It just takes a little longer.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Its nice to see how people set things up. I keep thinking I should set up some sort of a small fixture plate maybe about 8" by 8" as most of the stuff I want to make would fit on it. I'm still a beginner and find that figuring out how to hold and orient things is harder than actually programming the machine. Can you recommend a type of mitee bite that would be good to start out with?

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    Its nice to see how people set things up. I keep thinking I should set up some sort of a small fixture plate maybe about 8" by 8" as most of the stuff I want to make would fit on it. I'm still a beginner and find that figuring out how to hold and orient things is harder than actually programming the machine. Can you recommend a type of mitee bite that would be good to start out with?
    I used mitee-bite locating pins to locate my fixtures on the mill bed. I bored two holes in the mill bed for two locating pins one round and one diamond shaped. https://www.miteebite.com/products/l...ns-and-liners/

Attachment 416558

Attachment 416560

I don’t make big parts on my 1100. Actually, if I can’t hold a half dozen parts in one hand, they’re too big for me.

Usually, when I design a fixture, I’ll design it to hold at least 4 parts and I design the fixture so one corner of that fixture is X zero Y zero. Then Z zero is the top of the part not the top of the stock.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

This part used every inch of Y travel so there was really no room on the 1100 for more than one of this part at a time. I don't like using a corner of the fixture as I use an edge finder that is not as accurate for me or as fast as using a tooling ball and center finder to find the X-Y datum. And for the angle fixture a tooling ball is definitely needed to locate the datum.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    This part used every inch of Y travel so there was really no room on the 1100 for more than one of this part at a time. I don't like using a corner of the fixture as I use an edge finder that is not as accurate for me or as fast as using a tooling ball and center finder to find the X-Y datum. And for the angle fixture a tooling ball is definitely needed to locate the datum.

Don
    I use the Mitutoyo 950-111 to set Z height and a Haimer for X and Y coordinates. I’ve had them both for close to 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I use the Mitutoyo 950-111 to set Z height and a Haimer for X and Y coordinates. I’ve had them both for close to 20 years.
    Two quick questions:
    I assume that your Haimer is a 3D Taster. If so, why not use it for Z in addition to X and Y?

I've wondered about the internal design of the Mitutoyo 950-111. Does it use an internal inclined plane to translate the vertical movement of the top button to horizontal movement or something fancier?

One has to touch the Mitutoyo 950-111 with a hardened tool to work? The thing I like about my tool #1 Z-height tool is that I measure the height of this tool offline on the surface plate in a Tormach fixture the same way as all the other tools. All other tool heights are relative to tool #1. That way when I find the Z-height by coming down on any surface such as a tooling ball on an angle fixture. Tool #1 also has plenty of over travel.

Don

Attachment 418332