584,833 active members*
5,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > 316 stainless steel and 88 spindles to cut it with.

316 stainless steel and 88 spindles to cut it with.

Drilling 316+S Bohler Stainless Steel with a Gang Drill

Im in a rut everyone.

When I got the job, I was told that training on all the details would happen because the machines being used were 30 year old systems that are all done by FEEL and SEE. I did get to talk with the guy who was nice and cordial but they gave me only two weeks to learn everything... it wasn't enough. In hindsight I wished I asked him more about feeds and speeds...but that ship is sailed. I am not going to quit because its hard, but the problem I have is that I came in as a push button monkey and no machining experience before and now I am in a desperate need for old school learning.

I am operating a Gang Drill that has 88 spindles. The drill bits are two flute 1.2 mm that are made by Guhring HSS tin covered and generally drilling through 4 mm 316+S stainless steel.*

There is nothing to tell me how fast the machine feeds, RPMS we just found out tops at only 2500RPM.*

The breaking of bits or snapping is just one tip of the ice berg.

I want to stop the insanity and figure this out, help me stop busting bits PLEASE.

Re: 316 stainless steel and 88 spindles to cut it with.

How thick is the material?
    Can you peck it?
    Any coolant on the drills?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I would start here, this will give you some guidance. There are a lot of variables. The best drill for this application would be a 135° cobalt screw machine drill. Running 88 drills sounds like a nightmare. Coolant or a cutting oil will help.

Drills - Speeds and Feeds Charts - Guhring Inc
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

No oil the drill would heat up too fast.

Any guide bushings to keep them from walking?

I am operating a Gang Drill that has 88 spindles
    hi 88 ? do you have a photo/ link with that machine ?

i want to stop the insanity and figure this out, help me stop busting bits PLEASE.
    before starting a program, is good to know that every alignment is within tolerances ( factory specs, etc )

i just shared a few tips in this thread : https://www.cnczone.com/forums/uncat...ml#post2278864

maybe they help for you also, just discuss them with the guys that does alignments arround there

i can't help exactly, since i don't know that machine .... if clearances are low, you may need another alignemnt technique, like the one described here : https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-s...mall-tool.html

only after alignment is ok, only after that, you should start worry about tool geometry & cutting specs ( rpm doc feed, etc ); otherwise, you shot in the dark ... and guess what happens ? a dragon comes out, and a ghost, and they will align the machine for you, and also input good tools and good cutting specs

- that ghost can allign without tools and without measuring instruments, and also hit precision less then 3um, simply because, such things are not a problem for someone from the other dimensions; there are other kind of problems, and mere mortals problems are no longer a problem

- that dragon can input good specs for whatever tool and material, because he senses vibration of the tool, and also the chemestry of the material being cut, and can even use the potentiometer, to adjust specs, before an overload, simply, because, it is in his nature

think about it : find those guys, and you will never have to deal with such routines / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

[QUOTE=deadlykitten;2278870]hi 88 ? do you have a photo/ link with that machine ?

Looked for an 88, and found a 130.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnNP1kt8Dhg