584,808 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > Linux / linuxcnc can't see my parallel port card

Linux / linuxcnc can't see my parallel port card

I finally got around to finishing my CNC machine build and I installed Linux / Linuxcnc but it doesn't seem to recognize my pci parallel card....

Is there something else I am supposed to do to make it see the card or should I just assume I bought one that was not compatible with Linux in some way?

Re: Linux / linuxcnc can't see my parallel port card

What parallel port address have you selected?

If the parallel port is a add-on card you need to determine its address
    or use "0" (first parallel port) or "1" (second parallel port) as the port address

The default 0x378 address will not work for add-on parallel port cards

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    What parallel port address have you selected?

If the parallel port is a add-on card you need to determine its address
    or use "0" (first parallel port) or "1" (second parallel port) as the port address

The default 0x378 address will not work for add-on parallel port cards
    My parallel port is a PCI card, not one that it built into the motherboard. I am not sure what chipset it uses etc as it's a random eBay purchase. The card has no branding or model number on it.

I saw a video on how to find it's adress but the problem is that it does not come up in the linux terminal when I search through the list of hardware. It's not that I can't find the address, it's that I can't find anything that says parallel port. It's as if the card just isn't there.

My understanding is that, if the card works, it should be listed as "parallel port" along with the rest of the hardware in the linux terminal.

is there something else I need to do before finding the address to make linux see the card?

lspci -v | grep par

That command will tell you if the OS sees the parallel port card.

Mark

I'm pretty that you don't need Linux to recognize the parallel port for linuxCNC to be able to use the port, as long as you can find the ports physical base address
    (if Linux does not recognize the card, you cannot use the 0,1,2 address shortcut for first,second, third ports and must have the physical I/O address)

You should be able to find the card with lspci, though it may be described as a "communication" card not a parallel port

What are the markings on the main chip on the parallel port card? This may give you a clue to finding the card address in the lspci listing

Quote Originally Posted by wendtmk View Post
    lspci -v | grep par

That command will tell you if the OS sees the parallel port card.

Mark
    That's the issue. It does not see it at all.

There is something that says "serial" but nothing with "parallel" in the description.

I'm pretty that you don't need Linux to recognize the parallel port for linuxCNC to be able to use the port, as long as you can find the ports physical base address
    (if Linux does not recognize the card, you cannot use the 0,1,2 address shortcut for first,second, third ports and must have the physical I/O address)

You should be able to find the card with lspci, though it may be described as a "communication" card not a parallel port

What are the markings on the main chip on the parallel port card? This may give you a clue to finding the card address in the lspci listing
    The only thing I can see in the list that I don't recognize is something described as "serial card". I am going to try removing the card and running the LSPCI - v command to see what is missing.

btw, when I took a pic of the card, I found some writing on the chip which said WKH CH382L. When I put that into a google search, this comes up:

http://www.mmui.com.cn/en/product_details85_a.html

it says that it is compatible with Linux and supports "plug in and play". I guess they lied...

It looks like there is a specific reason why Linux doesn't start the driver according to this site: LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: WCH

It says this but it doesn't say if there is a fix besides cutting pin 63 (which is not labelled):

The problem here is that, AFAIK, only Dev. IDs 3250 and 3253 are present in the Linux kernel serial/parallel drivers and therefore Dev. ID 3050 which is for the parallel port only configuration, isn't recognised and no driver is started. The manufacturer, WCH, provides Windows drivers and a DOS configuration application even allowing it to be used in the DOS 0x3BC/378/278 io port address ranges and selection of SPP or ECP/EPP modes. Device ID is set by zero-ohm links connected to pins 62 and 63 of the WCH382 chip - It may be possible to remove the link connected to pin 63 of the chip causing the card to identify as a serial/parallel combo card with Dev. ID 3250.

You can try it. Probably easier just to get a supported card - LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: LinuxCNC Supported Hardware

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wendtmk View Post
    You can try it. Probably easier just to get a supported card - LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: LinuxCNC Supported Hardware

Mark
    You could also just try the address of the device found by lspci, LinuxCNCs parallel port driver
    ( hal_parport ) does not depend on Linux's driver at all so if the hardware works and you can
    determine the base address, you should be good to go.

( There are exceptions as some broken parallel port cards require vendor specific initialization )

You could also just try the address of the device found by lspci, LinuxCNCs parallel port driver
    ( hal_parport ) does not depend on Linux's driver at all so if the hardware works and you can

( There are exceptions as some broken parallel port cards require vendor specific initialization )
    I already tried that. It doesn't work. I haven't even been able to get linuxcnc to open yet. It just produces an incredibly long error message. It's like "here's a copy of War and Peace, the answers in there somewhere".

A new card arrived today and Linux can't recognize that one as a parallel port card either. It thinks they are all serial cards and the new one has both serial and parallel. Just my luck, it can see the serial port but not the parallel.

At this point, I'm starting to wish I had just bought a USB solution... or gone with Windows software.

Just a thought......what shows up in your Start up BIOS of the motherboard Options?

I already tried that. It doesn't work. I haven't even been able to get linuxcnc to open yet. It just produces an incredibly long error message. It's like "here's a copy of War and Peace, the answers in there somewhere".

A new card arrived today and Linux can't recognize that one as a parallel port card either. It thinks they are all serial cards and the new one has both serial and parallel. Just my luck, it can see the serial port but not the parallel.

At this point, I'm starting to wish I had just bought a USB solution... or gone with Windows software.

Thats odd, LinuxCNC errors about the parallel port are very short
    Maybe you have other issues.
    Does stepconf run properly?
    Do sims (no hardware required) run properly?

Thats odd, LinuxCNC errors about the parallel port are very short
    Maybe you have other issues.
    Does stepconf run properly?
    Do sims (no hardware required) run properly?
    The stepconf runs properly as far as I can tell.

As for whether there are other problems, I guess I will see when my new parallel port card arrives. I'm going to give it one more try (I just ordered my 4th card). If not, I'm going to give up on linuxcnc as I just don't know enough about Linux to troubleshoot it properly.

The new card is a wcs9900 which is apparently one that has worked for others.

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    Just a thought......what shows up in your Start up BIOS of the motherboard Options?

Nothing. There are no options related to pci lanes or parallel ports or anything else that looks related in the bios menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    The stepconf runs properly as far as I can tell.

As for whether there are other problems, I guess I will see when my new parallel port card arrives. I'm going to give it one more try (I just ordered my 4th card). If not, I'm going to give up on linuxcnc as I just don't know enough about Linux to troubleshoot it properly.

The new card is a wcs9900 which is apparently one that has worked for others.
    What actual errors did you get when trying to use the "serial" card address from lspci?

What actual errors did you get when trying to use the "serial" card address from lspci?
    I'm not really sure. It just looks like 20 pages of gobbledygook to me. The tiny bit I almost partially understand a little bit is that it is not getting a response from the address I put in. I am going to assume that is because the card is not compatible.

Also, when I lspci -vv it says something about a kernal driver working for every bit of hardware listed, except the parallel card.

The issues with the WCH 382l chipset seems to be fairly universal. No mortal men have ever gotten one to work. For some reason, Linux chooses not to start the relavent drivers and there is apparently no easy way to make it load them manually.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not really sure. It just looks like 20 pages of gobbledygook to me. The tiny bit I almost partially understand a little bit is that it is not getting a response from the address I put in. I am going to assume that is because the card is not compatible.

Also, when I lspci -vv it says something about a kernal driver working for every bit of hardware listed, except the parallel card.

The issues with the WCH 382l chipset seems to be fairly universal. No mortal men have ever gotten one to work. For some reason, Linux chooses not to start the relavent drivers and there is apparently no easy way to make it load them manually.

1. Its not really important that the kernel driver work for the parallel port as long as the hardware works without vendor specific setup (LinuxCNC does not depend on Linux's driver)
    2. I dont think I've ever seen more that a page or so of LinuxCNC error messages and I've used LinuxCNC for more than 10 years
    Can you capture the messages and put them in a public place (pastebin etc) and supply a link?

My new parallel port card arrived and this one is recognized by Linux as a Parallel port. I entered the address into the Hal file and now Linuxcnc actually opens. But.... the stepper drivers still won't move.

I am using a Gecko g540 with bought-in DB9 cables going to each motor, so I am fairly sure the wiring is ok. The green light on the G540 only comes on when the charge pump is set to off. With the charge pump on, it stays red.

I went over the instructions on the Gecko site and it says something about it needing to be in EPP mode for the charge pump thing to work. I can't seem to find any info on how I check which mode the parallel port is in or how to change it, or if it is in any way related to my problem.

the motors do not move even when the green light is on (when charge pump is off). I tried all three axis so it is unlikely to be a faulty motor (it would be very unlucky to get 3 non-working ones).

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try?