502,863 active members
6,795 visitors online
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNCzone Club House > Machinist Hangout > Machinist or Machine Operator? You decide..

View Poll Results: Is a machine operator a machinist

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 6.67%
  • No

14 93.33%
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Machinist or Machine Operator? You decide..

I'll definitely agree that cnc has taken a lot of the labor out of the fraction but the old principles still remain . I've had times where I cut compound angles on 3 axis mills with stacked angle plates and a part mounted on top , I'd look at the drawing then look back at the machine with my head tilted to make sure I'm looking at things right lol . I'm sure your no stranger to that sort of thing on the manuals . Luckily I didn't have to do that too many times , It can still get ugly but it's just different .
    Speaking of worn machines . I worked with a woman who was wicked on the manual lathe and the thing was shot , for the most part she always had that thing humming . The maintenance guy one day pulled the lathe apart with the intention of rebuilding it . The screw on the cross slide was shaped like an hour glass , and she still kept serious tolerances on big parts , she just knew her machine

Gold Member

LOL....I can really understand what you are saying....my main machine in my garage is a 1932 Colchester Bantam lathe that I brought over from UK in 1981 when I emigrated to OZ...…..the bed had .013" wear down near the chuck end making saddle adjustment well nigh impossible, so I recut the 3 Vee's and 2 flats top and bottom on the bed with a hand planer device I made and scraped the saddle in to fit.....took about 3 weeks of evening work but now it works.

I'm still very new to CNC work, and have barely scratched the surface with my CNC mill, but it helps to keep the interest in engineering alive and at 80 I need lots of incentive to make anything now, but embracing new technology is a challenge and I intend to live forever.....LOL.
    Ian.

80 seems to have become the new 50 so you likely have a long time yet to play with you cnc , my mother inlaw turned 81 yesterday and still does 18 holes a couple times a week

Gold Member

One thing's for sure, I couldn't do an 8 hour shift now no matter what they paid me....there's talk here that the retirement age could be extended to 70......talk about getting blood out of a stone.....when I was retrenched at age 64 and had to look for another job to satisfy the Social Security people, the various and many work places I applied at told me I was far too old even at 50.....so the Social people put me on a mature age pension and told me not to bother looking anymore......That was probably to get the unemployment statistics down and many others younger than me were doing the same.
    Ian.

Page 2 of 2 12