584,841 active members*
4,686 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Having trouble with lineer rails flatness.

Question Having trouble with lineer rails flatness.

Hello everyone.

I am just having some issues while assemly the rails on the cnc router base.I can not get the correct and same readings from dial indicator.The numbers usually chaging between -60 microns and 40 microns.I attached some photos to show you, non-contact spots after contacting the lineer rail surface with painted granite surface plate.I also marked the spots with red arrows in the photos.I hope it helps you understand.

-Do you think the lineer rail surface and cnc router base surface have flatness problem?

-The problems with the lineer rails are normal?

-Is there any anomaly?

Note:Then lineer rails are new brand TBI Motion.

Thanks,

Kaan.

Re: Having trouble with lineer rails flatness.

I have used lots of epoxy over the years,but for purposes other than levelling surfaces for linear rails.I have to admit I wouldn't have done it quite as you have as I can see no obvious way of checking that both additions of epoxy are at the same height and in the same plane.Is there something that isn't obvious?I would expect the rails themselves to be straight when they left the factory,but have you used an indicator to verify that they didn't get bent in transit?

When installing the rails,did you set one absolutely straight and then use a spacer to locate the other the correct distance from the first? What is the situation with respect to the bolt holes? If they have been tapped and are not perfectly located there might be forces acting on the rails to distort them and it will be very difficult to rectify the position if this is so.

The surface of the epoxy can be abraded if there are bumps and hollows to correct. You will need a good straight edge and some time-a precision level might be a good thing to have as well.

Re: Having trouble with lineer rails flatness.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I have used lots of epoxy over the years,but for purposes other than levelling surfaces for linear rails.I have to admit I wouldn't have done it quite as you have as I can see no obvious way of checking that both additions of epoxy are at the same height and in the same plane.Is there something that isn't obvious?I would expect the rails themselves to be straight when they left the factory,but have you used an indicator to verify that they didn't get bent in transit?

When installing the rails,did you set one absolutely straight and then use a spacer to locate the other the correct distance from the first? What is the situation with respect to the bolt holes? If they have been tapped and are not perfectly located there might be forces acting on the rails to distort them and it will be very difficult to rectify the position if this is so.

The surface of the epoxy can be abraded if there are bumps and hollows to correct. You will need a good straight edge and some time-a precision level might be a good thing to have as well.
    Thanks your reply