584,802 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > SMC5-5-N-N Chinese controller - anyone have experience with it?
Page 1 of 5 123

SMC5-5-N-N Chinese controller - anyone have experience with it?

I just picked up one of these controllers, and as per usual the Chinglish manual is nearly useless. Seems like a decent controller, but from all my searching I'm starting to feel like the userbase is extremely thin. I've got it hooked up to my x-carve and it's functioning, with the exception of home functionality, and proper functioning of the limit switches. The limit switches work, but forces a reset and you have to manually back the machine off the switch. Wondering if this is normal for this controller. My previous DDCSV2.1 controller didn't do this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56b23d59-e6eb-47ee-a250-266082fdf74c.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	416692
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mini-lathe/82871-7-x-10-project-started.html" target="_blank">7X10 Lathe conversion</a>
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open-source-cnc-machine-designs/335846-cnc.html" target="_blank">Custom X-Carve router</a>
    <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/tooldesign" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a>

Re: SMC5-5-N-N Chinese controller - anyone have experience with it?

Why did you change from the ddcsv?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

As it turns out, I didn't change from it. I picked up the SMC5 controller to have expanded functionality and larger screen, but it wasn't really necessary. I ended up getting a new DDCS v3.1 controller instead.
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mini-lathe/82871-7-x-10-project-started.html" target="_blank">7X10 Lathe conversion</a>
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open-source-cnc-machine-designs/335846-cnc.html" target="_blank">Custom X-Carve router</a>
    <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/tooldesign" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a>

Some information now about SMC5-5-n-n gathered from google.
    To update firmware, type SZMAP0 at the 'Factory' key prompt, not sure if the last character was a letter or digit.
    To roll back to factory settings type 000001 all are digits.
    To edit the firmwares visual interface, lolette refers to a software for windows named OP20.
    I think its only a screen editor and an understanding of coding will be required to bridge the link for the on screen buttons.
    There are complaints on youtube about probing not being available and limits requiring reset, most industrial machines i used to work with were much the same so they must be comparing to the advanced state of firmware development with the ddscv, which is limited to 4 axis.
    A Thailand supplier is now bundling an encoder wheel pendant and a 12v power supply for price of the original ebay offering, so the price is finally moving a bit lower.
    Wisdom results from foolishness!

According to this thread there exist an input pulse for a 6th axis! Somewhere inside this thing a number 6 can be unlocked!
    https://www.fastercnc.com/2019/05/08/smc5-5-n-n-how-to-connect-mpg/

Edit: i think they ceased production now of smc5.

Ok, update, this thing has tool probe and setting probe features, 5 axis interpolation smoothing, 500khz per axis.

https://youtu.be/NBaUlAcllD4

Hi to all!
    I'm new here and would like to have some help from you please.
    I have installed the SMC5-5-N-N Controller on my benchtop Milling MAchine.
    I could set the Hybrid motors running fine as well as the soft limits and the homing function with. I also could get the MPG working fine.
    I could not find a place to set up the BACKLASH compensation. Does this controller have a backlash feature?
    Anyone here knows where to find a Firmware update to download?
    On this video ( ) I observed that he has a more recent version and the screen buttons are different (more coherent names).
    The controller is very good with many resources but The manual is very poor with "Chinglish" almost useless!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edi

Cnc ninja now has the source code and hopefully it can now get debugged, all we need is a source for spare keypad membranes now.

Smile Re: SMC5-5-N-N Chinese controller - anyone have experience with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenji View Post
    Cnc ninja now has the source code and hopefully it can now get debugged, all we need is a source for spare keypad membranes now.
    Any idea where this source code could be found?

Hi Guys the latest firmware contains backlash settings and G53
    I have mine running with the sample code that came with the controller, but my Mach3 postprocessor TAP files are a bit erratic.
    I'm working on getting the code figured out. A guy that responded to a you tube video has been very helpful with setup and code info.
    tomorrow ill be trying out some new G code to see if I can get it to run well with my files postprocessed with fusion 360 using either mach3 or linuxcnc as the setting in fusion for postprocessing.

The latest firmware that I got this morning Dec 6 2020 is firmware 2020-11-30

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by epicler View Post
    Hi to all!
    I'm new here and would like to have some help from you please.
    I have installed the SMC5-5-N-N Controller on my benchtop Milling MAchine.
    I could set the Hybrid motors running fine as well as the soft limits and the homing function with. I also could get the MPG working fine.
    I could not find a place to set up the BACKLASH compensation. Does this controller have a backlash feature?
    Anyone here knows where to find a Firmware update to download?
    On this video (https://youtu.be/NBaUlAcllD4) I observed that he has a more recent version and the screen buttons are different (more coherent names).
    The controller is very good with many resources but The manual is very poor with "Chinglish" almost useless!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edi
    Hi the latest firmware has backlash settings and G53

Quote Originally Posted by Biggyboy View Post
    I have mine running with the sample code that came with the controller, but my Mach3 postprocessor TAP files are a bit erratic.
    I'm working on getting the code figured out. A guy that responded to a you tube video has been very helpful with setup and code info.
    tomorrow ill be trying out some new G code to see if I can get it to run well with my files postprocessed with fusion 360 using either mach3 or linuxcnc as the setting in fusion for postprocessing.

Glen
    Hi Glen,

we might want to be a bit more systematic to find out which postprocessor might be the best for this controller and what changes have to be done to it so we get working G-Code. As I mentioned I currently have the controller disconnected and use linuxcnc. I send a request to get the latest firmware and they replied (without actually sending me the firmware):

There is a new firmware, but the updated functions are not many. 1. Double backup of data. Reduce internal flash memory error prompts.
    2. Machine type 8, fixed the problem of negative numbers due to RTCP direction and pendulum length.
    3. Newly added G53 mechanical coordinate rapid movement.

So, I again requested that they send it to me. It's hard to debug something if we are not on the same firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by larry104 View Post
    Hi Glen,

we might want to be a bit more systematic to find out which postprocessor might be the best for this controller and what changes have to be done to it so we get working G-Code. As I mentioned I currently have the controller disconnected and use linuxcnc. I send a request to get the latest firmware and they replied (without actually sending me the firmware):

There is a new firmware, but the updated functions are not many. 1. Double backup of data. Reduce internal flash memory error prompts.
    2. Machine type 8, fixed the problem of negative numbers due to RTCP direction and pendulum length.
    3. Newly added G53 mechanical coordinate rapid movement.

So, I again requested that they send it to me. It's hard to debug something if we are not on the same firmware.

Hey Larry,
    thanks for commenting on this thread.
    I did some more testing last night and it appears that after doing a g28 or aG53 move g0 G1 codes do not go back to material reference but still use the machine 0 reference. So a g54 or a g0 or g1 move don’t work off of the material datum (work co-ordinance ) I’m going to throw a g90 after the g28 or g53 and see if that fixes my problem.

So do they say the latest is 2020-12-8 because I notice when they send you an email they type in the send date near the bottom of the email that confusingly looks like it’s the firmware date.

Glen

Hey Larry,
    thanks for commenting on this thread.
    I did some more testing last night and it appears that after doing a g28 or aG53 move g0 G1 codes do not go back to material reference but still use the machine 0 reference. So a g54 or a g0 or g1 move don’t work off of the material datum (work co-ordinance ) I’m going to throw a g90 after the g28 or g53 and see if that fixes my problem.

So do they say the latest is 2020-12-8 because I notice when they send you an email they type in the send date near the bottom of the email that confusingly looks like it’s the firmware date.

Glen
    /btw this is how the fusion linuxcnc postprocessor is doing it
    N10 G90 G94 G17 G91.1
    N15 G20
    N20 G53 G0 Z0.
    (2D ADAPTIVE1)
    N25 T1 M6
    N30 S18000 M3
    N35 G54
    N40 M8
    N45 G0 X1.085 Y1.3873

Did you try to rerun a program without resetting X.Y,Z again? I'm asking because that did not seem to work the controller was starting from the position it had at the end instead of in it's G54 coordinate space. Can you confirm that this works in the meantime? The use case is you have a vice and cut one part after another so you setup everything once and not after each run.

Quote Originally Posted by larry104 View Post
    /btw this is how the fusion linuxcnc postprocessor is doing it
    N10 G90 G94 G17 G91.1
    N15 G20
    N20 G53 G0 Z0.
    (2D ADAPTIVE1)
    N25 T1 M6
    N30 S18000 M3
    N35 G54
    N40 M8
    N45 G0 X1.085 Y1.3873

Did you try to rerun a program without resetting X.Y,Z again? I'm asking because that did not seem to work the controller was starting from the position it had at the end instead of in it's G54 coordinate space. Can you confirm that this works in the meantime? The use case is you have a vice and cut one part after another so you setup everything once and not after each run.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "
    Did you try to rerun a program without resetting X.Y,Z again?"

So my understanding of G54 is, it is supposed to put the system back into absolute mode and use the work piece co-ordinance but it appears to stay in the machine co-ordinance. For example after a G 53 Z0 it takes the cutter up to the upper z limit and then if you call a g54 after that it still appears to be in the machine absolute reference. Any g0 or g1 commands such a z10 will move the tool up and crash the limit stop at the top of the z axes instead of taking the tool down and stop at 10mm above the work surface.

PS: I put in a request with fusion 360 for a postprocessor for this controller to be created and added to the list at fusion website. If you go to the link you can vote on it.
    here is the link to vote.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-p.../idi-p/9921841

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "
    Did you try to rerun a program without resetting X.Y,Z again?"

So my understanding of G54 is, it is supposed to put the system back into absolute mode and use the work piece co-ordinance but it appears to stay in the machine co-ordinance. For example after a G 53 Z0 it takes the cutter up to the upper z limit and then if you call a g54 after that it still appears to be in the machine absolute reference. Any g0 or g1 commands such a z10 will move the tool up and crash the limit stop at the top of the z axes instead of taking the tool down and stop at 10mm above the work surface.

PS: I put in a request with fusion 360 for a postprocessor for this controller to be created and added to the list at fusion website. If you go to the link you can vote on it.
    here is the link to vote.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-p.../idi-p/9921841
    I guess it will be up to us to create a postprocessor ... it's relatively easy at least to modify an existing so we get what we want. Let me confirm something with my machine before I answer the rest ...

YAHOO I got it working!!!!! No more crashes!
    I figured out what you meant about re-zeroing the work co-ordinance after a run and yes I was having the same problem. But now it is solved along with my original problem. This controller does NOT like going from work
    co-ordinance
    to Machine
    co-ordinance and back again!!! To solve the problem I add G90 after every G53 (G28) and to solve your problem at the end of acycle, you need to add one at the end of the code after the final G53.
    Here is the test code that came from fusion i'll highlight the lines that I hand edited.

(1001)
    (T17 D=19. CR=0. - ZMIN=-15. - FLAT END MILL)
    G90 G94 G91.1 G40 G49 G17
    G21
    (WHEN USING FUSION 360 FOR PERSONAL USE, THE FEEDRATE OF )
    (RAPID MOVES IS REDUCED TO MATCH THE FEEDRATE OF CUTTING )
    (MOVES, WHICH CAN INCREASE MACHINING TIME. UNRESTRICTED )
    (RAPID MOVES ARE AVAILABLE WITH A FUSION 360 SUBSCRIPTION. )
    G90 --------------
    G53 G0 Z0.
    G90 -------------
    (TRACE1)
    M5
    T17 M6
    S16000 M3
    G54
    G0 X10.447 Y12.749
    G1 Z5. F2000.
    Z-15. F1000.
    Y87.749 F2000.
    X85.447
    Y12.749
    X10.447
    Z5. F1000.
    Z15. F2000.
    G53 G0 Z0.
    G53 G0 X0. Y0.
    G90 ----------
    M30

I hand removed the G43 line too

here is a handy video
    Editing Post Processors & G-Code with Visual Studio Code

Glen

And this video is handy too for editing postprocessors

Glen
    I have tried contacting them - World Press? Who did you contact? Please share the email thanks. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon50SS View Post
    I have tried contacting them - World Press? Who did you contact? Please share the email thanks. Bill
    Hi Bill,
    you can send a request too [email protected] you will need to include your ID number of your controller. I took a picture of the screen that shows the controllers ID and sent it in with the info.

Page 1 of 5 123