584,854 active members*
4,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Had to come up with an alturnitive to my alturnitive work holding well kinda

Had to come up with an alturnitive to my alturnitive work holding well kinda

So I have a pro 4896 with a custom vacuum table with t-slots running around the outside plus through the center of both axis.

I do a lot of routing on rough cut slabs that are typically around 20" wide so I can normally reach the slab with the t-slot clamps but this time my chainsaw guy brought me some smaller pieces (between 7.5" &12") but my problem was how am I going to hi- old them down? I refuse to screw into my spoil board because of the vacuum table.

So what I ended up coming up with was screwing 1/2" MDF to the bottom of the slabs. Attachment 416868
    It took a little bit to get it squared up being they are live edge but it works great with the extra 1/2" I was able to set my cut depth to an extra 1/8" so I was sure I was going to route the whole way through the wood.

I route these then my chainsaw buddy roughs them up with the chainsaw & burns them to seal them. These are the first 4 I made more to come. Attachment 416870 The only thing I'll change is I will probably do pocket cuts especially for the 2" thick pieces because when the pieces get cut away they make a very loud noise bouncing around in the hole. I also cut these with a 3/8" bit the next time I'll use my1/2" bit so I can take deeper passes.

Thanks for looking
    Gary

Re: Had to come up with an alturnitive to my alturnitive work holding well kinda

Interesting take on signs that I hadn't previously seen produced on a CNC machine.I'm quite impressed by the lack of breakage on the short grained portions and it must have taken some planning to keep the hold down screws clear of the cut.I have used the technique of mounting the job on a carrier board before now and have always used brass screws for the job-just in case.I understand your issues with the parts that break free,does your CAM system have the facility to add holding tags to keep everything in place?The small extra amount of clean up work isn't too significant compared to having to run a ruined job again.

Re: Had to come up with an alturnitive to my alturnitive work holding well kinda

Thank you, there was only 8 screws total in the 3 longer signs and 6 in the shorter USA sign and placement was easy, I placed them in the outside margins and just left the centers "hang" free. Yes I'm also surprised the series didn't end up getting sucked into the dust collection, I think the fact that most of them were 1.875" thick helped.

Yes I use Aspire and I could have used tabs but for some reason it just slipped my mind. I think because the main sign was screwed dow & I wasn't thinking the cut offs would come flying out.

Gary

What I did with my slabs. at each end I used maybe 1 1/2 or 2 inch long screws to hold on some 3 x 3/4 inch thick pine boards and held them down with my clamps that fit my table slots.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

It seems like having them screwed down ever 18 - 24" helps straighten out the bows if they arent straight but that's a good idea also