585,665 active members*
3,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Setup and wiring of Mach3 USB 4 axis Motion Controller AKZ250 from Leafboy77

Setup and wiring of Mach3 USB 4 axis Motion Controller AKZ250 from Leafboy77

AKZ250 Setup wiring - YouTube

I have spend some time setting up and wiring this card so I thought it would be worth sharing.

In the PDF attached made a wring diagram for motor drivers, E-stop, Relay, Probe and limit switch (I used a proximity type).

In the video (17min) I go through the steps in Mch3 and show the actual wiring.

Re: Setup and wiring of Mach3 USB 4 axis Motion Controller AKZ250 from Leafboy77

Hi,

I have the AKZ250 with 4 cheap BL-TB6600-V1.2 drivers. There are only 4 input on the drivers which are:

+5v, CW, CLK and -EN

I connected:
    XD to the CW
    XS to the CLK
    +5v to +5v

But I don't know which output to connect to the "EN" on the driver. I think this is important to enable/disable the steppers on clicking the Reset button. With this setup the motors works but when I click to "Reset" button to disable the motors there are still power on them. Can you please help me on this?

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
    Suat

Re: Setup and wiring of Mach3 USB 4 axis Motion Controller AKZ250 from Leafboy77

hi Suat, I do not have experience with the driver you are using but from what I can see in the documentation for it the 4 inputs are the same as for most other controllers. Hence, my expectation is that you do not need to connect the ENable at all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	326292

Hi,

But this way the steppers are always active even when I press the Reset button.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I wonder if you have tried wiring up an MPG encoder to Inputs 0/1? I have been unable too get MACH to repond too my MPG which is tested good and shows input on board LED's. I think I have everything configured correct but still not working.If I use the inputs as general purpose switch inputs they work fine.

Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBarfoed View Post

In the PDF attached made a wring diagram for motor drivers, E-stop, Relay, Probe and limit switch (I used a proximity type).
    I don't understand... you put a resistor in series with the limit switches? Why? That is very unusual...

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBarfoed View Post
    Hence, my expectation is that you do not need to connect the ENable at all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	326292
    In this case the steppers are always energized and that is not a good idea. Better to use EN as it supposed to, to enable/disable the driver and energize the motors when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    Hi,

I have the AKZ250 with 4 cheap BL-TB6600-V1.2 drivers. There are only 4 input on the drivers which are:

+5v, CW, CLK and -EN

I connected:
    XD to the CW
    XS to the CLK
    +5v to +5v

But I don't know which output to connect to the "EN" on the driver. I think this is important to enable/disable the steppers on clicking the Reset button. With this setup the motors works but when I click to "Reset" button to disable the motors there are still power on them. Can you please help me on this?

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
    Suat
    I don't know that AKZ250, but isn't there a free output you could define as EN and use the signal? You don't need one for each stepper driver, just one which you could use for all drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    I don't know that AKZ250, but isn't there a free output you could define as EN and use the signal? You don't need one for each stepper driver, just one which you could use for all drivers.
    Hi,

Yes, I did it the way you as you say. I've used a free output port to enable/disable steppers.

You means it can't stop runing when you click the "reset"button? I met the same situation,

Quote Originally Posted by DanTeng View Post
    You means it can't stop runing when you click the "reset"button? I met the same situation,
    I don't know who this question is addressed to...

The running/stopping is not a problem, it is controlled by step signals, so if no step pulses are sent then the motor stops. The problem of not having EN is that the motors are always getting power and are using full holding torque even when it is not needed or directly undesirable. If you for one reason or other want to disable the motors or release the torque you can't do that unless you switch the power off. Limit switches are not working as they supposed to because if you hit the limit switch the motor is still energized and you can't do anything unless you jog off with the electronics, no manual twisting if the lead screw is possible. If you happen to hit the table due to wrong Z height you hit the Reset or Estop button but while the machine gets stopped, the pressure on the tool and the work piece as well as the ball nut/screw is maintained until you jog off, which is not good at all.

I know not everyone is using EN and they are happy anyway, but in my opinion that's not a good engineering work. But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    Hi,

Yes, I did it the way you as you say. I've used a free output port to enable/disable steppers.
    hi could you solve the problem?