584,866 active members*
5,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 6 123

Hybrid View

Fineline Shutdown or Perpetrating a Fraud!!

I ordered and received confirmation on a 2x4 Router Kit with accessories on 3/27/2019. My credit card was charged for the kit, accessories plus shipping. Multiple attempts to contact Nathan via email and voice mail for order status has failed. Absolutely no response from him. Does anyone know what’s going on. The business next to his facility says he’s only there in the evenings and weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by jrpatter56 View Post
    I ordered and received confirmation on a 2x4 Router Kit with accessories on 3/27/2019. My credit card was charged for the kit, accessories plus shipping. Multiple attempts to contact Nathan via email and voice mail for order status has failed. Absolutely no response from him. Does anyone know what’s going on. The business next to his facility says he’s only there in the evenings and weekends.
    I was about to place an order but this is concerning.
    Do you have an update on your machine?

Re: Fineline Shutdown or Perpitrating a Fraud!!

Agree with Dave - Nathan has a great product line but stretches himself pretty thin in what is a competitive market - have faith

- - - Updated - - -

Did you get the machine?

I have tried to support Nate and say good things about him. I have let people know that he might take a while but that he always does the right thing. BUT...I do not feel that way anymore. I feel like I spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot a machine that has a frame flaw. Yes I have had the machine for a while but I don't use it professionally. So spending 2 hours a week in the garage is about all I get with a 60 hour a week job. Two kids, and a house and wife to take care of. Honestly I was prepared for some work with Nate to get the bugs worked out, but my machine has been a total disaster. I have loosened the rails as well as a bunch of other tweeks to try and get things parallel and working smoothly but the frame is just to wacked to get there. I have asked Nate to take the machine back and his reply was that I've had it too long. Even though he knows I haven't been able to put any real time on the machine between fixing the drives and trying to figure out the binding issues and more. What a huge waste of time and money.

Thats sad, I wish there was an answer. When did you purchase the machine?
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Thats sad, I wish there was an answer. When did you purchase the machine?
    About 1 and 1/2 years ago. much of which has been going back and forth trying to get answers from Nate on how to get the machine running right

ericks Guest

Not good...sorry to hear about your hassles! Hopefully these posts will make him do the honorable thing...

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Not good...sorry to hear about your hassles! Hopefully these posts will make him do the honorable thing...
    One end of the table is about 3/16" to an 1/8" wider than the other. The tapped holes in the cross members are not in a grid or spaced evenly. Pretty sure the frame in not "flat" either. The main table rails are all loosened right now to see if I can find enough slop in the mounting holes to get the rails parallel...but seems like maybe only about 1/32" of wiggle room...at some point the only way I can see to get this right is pull the rails re-drill and tap new holes in between the old ones and re-mount the rails.

ericks Guest

What is the size of this machine?

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    What is the size of this machine?
    It is a 2x4' machine. Other thought was to use the existing threaded holes to mount 80/20 extrusion and then mount the rails to that. That would definitely give enough adjustment. Or maybe drag it behind my truck town the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik F View Post
    It is a 2x4' machine. Other thought was to use the existing threaded holes to mount 80/20 extrusion and then mount the rails to that. That would definitely give enough adjustment. Or maybe drag it behind my truck town the highway.

80/20 has wiggle room, but it may be iffy to get 3/16 - 1/8" adjustment from 80/20 mounted on each side (3/32 - 1/16" per side). I use a lot of 80/20, and am just completing a new build with it.

If you saw my build thread for a 4 x 4 Saturn 2, you saw that mine was defective in about every way. Fortunately, when if first opened the box, I saw the in washer between the gantry mounting and interface plates. I knew something was very wrong. That led me to check everything right away, and found out how bad things really were. Fortunately, I acted quickly enough and was able to send the machine back for a full refund.

Something else to consider. Will you have enough Z axis movement, if you raise the gantry height with the 80/20? I didn't get my Saturn 2 set up (I had it on end on a large dolly), so I didn't check Z axis travel. I looked at some possible fixes (I really like the idea of a welded frame), but abandoned the idea in favor of sending it back. Way too much wrong with the machine.

You should also check to make sure the two side rails are in the same plane. I'd be surprised if they are. If there is a twist, 80/20 won't help you with that. Also, look at the steel tubes for square. If they aren't square, it may be impossible to get the profile rail properly aligned. The very best repair solution would be to have steel plates welded to the frame and have the frame stress relieved. Then find someone to mill/grind the on plates flat and mill reference edges for the linear rails. Finally, get new mounting holes drilled and tapped. I didn't get so far as getting the work quoted, but it has to be expensive.

I feel for you Erik. It's terrible to drop all that money on a machine that isn't even close to what's advertised, or nowhere close to being fit for its intended purpose.

Gary

ericks Guest

Not good, i had a look at their website. They claim to have good quality machines. Later this year i plan to put control panels up for sale, my biggest concern is quality and customer satisfaction.....

Re: Fineline Shutdown or Perpetrating a Fraud!!

I have not purchased a machine from Nathan, but I have tried to contact him via voice and email messaging 3 or 4 times. No response. For someone to run a business like this is pathetic I don't care if he does work a full time job. I recommend looking into another manufacture before I would purchase anything from a company that takes your money and does not return inquiries.

I'm embarrassed to say I have always been measuring from rail to rail but it occurred to me to measure a few other points on the frame. One end is over an 1/8" wider than the other. Hahaha...if I didn't laugh I would have to cry. What a sack of ****. I have been looking at this machine:

https://cnc4newbie.com/store/en/ultimate-kits-c70/

Or ordering extrusion and try to transfer parts from the piece of crap Aon to a new frame. What do you guys think of the cnc4newbie machine? Obviously not quit the same level of machine a what the Saturn was supposed to be but seems to be very well thought out and we'll made.

I'm embarrassed to say I have always been measuring from rail to rail but it occurred to me to measure a few other points on the frame. One end is over an 1/8" wider than the other. Hahaha...if I didn't laugh I would have to cry. What a sack of ****. I have been looking at this machine:

Or ordering extrusion and try to transfer parts from the piece of crap Aon to a new frame. What do you guys think of the cnc4newbie machine? Obviously not quit the same level of machine a what the Saturn was supposed to be but seems to be very well thought out and we'll made.
    I think for the 1500 take the machine apart and start calling around to local shops and have a good shop look into fixing the frame or if it's more cost-effective weld you up a new one and have the surfaces machined. If you don't have anyone you know is capable, then I would suggest doing what GME did and buy extrusion and basically duplicate the steel frame out of extrusion. If you went the extrusion route you could use the router as is to machine all the mounting plates, and just swap the parts over after you get the new frame done. I think you will be pretty disappointed with the kit you posted it doesn't look very robust and you might be going down another rabbit hole.

Or if you can sell the saturn as a project or do some of the things we suggested to get it reliable and recoup a decent amount of your investment, you might want to look at David's Bragga machine he's selling. They look very well built and he seems to be a perfectionist so I personally would take a chance on buying one if I didn't have a Saturn.

Just my thoughts on what I personally would do if I wasn't able to get my machine up and running reliably, fortunately my frame wasn't as bad as yours and Gary's were. Mines not perfect yet but at least it's functional after a lot of work and does a really good job so far, as for longevity goes ask me a year from now.

Dan

Way too lightweight for my taste. About the only things to transfer are your steppers (assuming you have NEMA 23s). NEMA 34s are way too much for a machine like you linked to. Also note that the machine uses acme screws, instead of ball screws. Changing over to ballscrews downstream might be a problem. The base unit is listed as the 500, which I take to be 500mm, or just under 20 inches. Pretty small. If you were to put a spindle on that gantry, I'll bet you would see some interesting deflection. No recommendation here. :nono:

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Way too lightweight for my taste. About the only things to transfer are your steppers (assuming you have NEMA 23s). NEMA 34s are way too much for a machine like you linked to. Also note that the machine uses acme screws, instead of ball screws. Changing over to ballscrews downstream might be a problem. The base unit is listed as the 500, which I take to be 500mm, or just under 20 inches. Pretty small. If you were to put a spindle on that gantry, I'll bet you would see some interesting deflection. No recommendation here. :nono:

Gary
    Thanks Gary,
    Yes it's pretty light weight. But it is very comparable to the cncrouterparts.com basic benchtop unit, which also uses the same size extrusions for construction and lead screws. I thought it might be a viable plug and play option. I realize it would have been more of a hobby machine than a true professional tool. I'm probably over thinking this whole thing. Just need to commit to fixing this pile and start tearing into it. That is how I generally work...if I try to plan every detail I never get started. I need to see the nuts and bolts and solve each problem as I run into them.

So is Nate still selling machines? It would be interesting if someone lives close to that business could check.

As far as measurements go, as long as the linear rails are parallel to each and level across the bed with one another thats all that is needed. You will never get an aluminum extrusion frame as solid as a welded one. The aluminum is not suppose to be a good base for the rails, unless its been ground.

I think there has been much discussion on here already on how you can make the frame better.... so far nothing has been done.

If you are serious get a real machinist to look at your frame, yes pay him for his time and have him quote the repairs needed. Strip the frame down and let him do the welding and grinding in his shop.

Or strip the frame down and take to a shop that can do the repairs. Thats the only way its going to be done right.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

I realize I have asked for a lot of input and not done anything about it yet. I have a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old and work about 70 hours a week. There is not much time left over to tinker. I don't know anyone that could help with trueing the frame and machining it and honestly sounds super expensive. I suppose I could have someone come out to look at it but I am leaning towards just building a new frame. The next option after I check a few other things out on the machine would be just to cut it in half and then make some joining plates, square and bolt back together.

Its a shame that it can't be fixed and used. I did present a fix I thought would work months ago but it got shuffled off to the side. The other fix that could work is all the racks, R&P drives the entire workings be transferred to a CNCRP frame kit of the same size. They are a great company to deal with and they would not be growing as large as they are if they been putting out junk machines that could not cut straight parts or work everyday. Anyway that would be one alternative. I can't figure out why my machine works so well.

Page 1 of 6 123