584,829 active members*
4,886 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1.5kW motor on a 3040?

Hello, I'm new to CNC.

After watching a video on youtube which said words to the effect of "Don't buy the 3040, save and get the 6040 instead it is much better", I'm questioning my purchase of this machine https://www.aliexpress.com/item/300w...35634c4dDhqNsc I only ordered it yesterday so I haven't had a look at it yet.

I ordered the water cooled 1.5kW version, with the intent of a it powering a small repetitive production line creating hardwood 3D carvings about 4x2x3/4" in size.

What is the actual difference between the 3040 and 6040? I had assumed it would just be the table size, is the 6040 more rigid?

Does anyone run the 3040 with 1.5kW configuration? any opinions on it?

Thankyou.

Re: 1.5kW motor on a 3040?

Welcome to the forum.
    I don't think many of us will experience with both machines, so that probaly why no-one has responded so far......I have a 6040 and have never seen a 3040 in the flesh.
    You have bought the machine now, so now you are committed. It will still be a good machine to tinker with and cut the jobs you want to do.
    If you have problems, you will have to work through them. If you don't, all will be good.

The 1500W spindle will handle everything you will be a ble to through at it in that machine.Thats what I have in mine.

I think there are different versions of the 3040, which have differences in hardware. The 6040's have similar differences, depending on who assembled the product.
    You will learn about the differences as you go.
    probably most of the differences will whther a particular axis has 'supported' or 'unsupported' round rails. I only have supported rails on my Y axis.
    The newer XL2200 machines use square linear rials all round. ( better )
    Also the electrical and electronic hardware will vary. ie Computer interface, Motion Cards, Break Out Boards and Motor Drivers and Stepper Motors.

Dive in and enjoy this hobby.....solve each problem as you get to it and make improvements when you can and want to. Google will be your first stop as many have been through before you.....lol
    It will probably keep you busy/happy for years!......

Steve

I've got a 3040 and a 6040, the 6040 is terrific value and quite a robust and well made machine generally, the only real downside is the garbage "blue box" controller they come standard with. Replace that with a Gecko G540 and you won't believe the difference. The 3040 still represents some value but it's definitely a lower powered machine with quite a small working area.

The 3040 usually has unsupported round rails, for drivescrews I've seen some machines have an ACME or trapezoidal thread, while some have a rolled ballscrew. The bearings are usually just round linear bearings inserted into the frame/gantry as opposed to the pillow block bearings and supported round linear rails used by most larger machines. A lot of the 3040's also come with a really crappy DC brushed spindle, if you can even call it a spindle, whereas most 6040's come with an 800w/1.5kw spindle/VFD. They also sometimes come with NEMA17 steppers, while others come with NEMA24 steppers, but they are all fairly low on the torque and not much chop for any grunty work. 3040's also usually come with a drive controller that maxes out at 36V, although most are supplied with a 24VDC power supply anyway, so this also greatly limits the torque.

Having said all that though, they are dirt cheap and more than adequate for small general woodworking jobs, PCB, engraving, etc. But I think the 6040 for not much more is a far better option.

But horses for courses.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Thanks guys, I probably should have remained blissfully ignorant as buyers remorse has set in now. I checked the advertised pictures and yes the 3040 is unsupported whereas the 6040 is supported from the same seller, I've attached said pictured below. Although the 6040 is more then double the price. The 3040 I bought does have the vdf/1.5kW spindle though.

I wouldn't worry too much, you've still got a cheap entry level ticket into the cnc world.

Either it will do what you want reasonably well within it's limits, or it will just be the first of many machines along the path.

I'd be curious of the dimensions and weight of your 1.5kw spindle (not a DC brushed one?), as I would have thought the weight and size would far exceed what the 3040 could comfortably support and run.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I can't really say with certainty whether the spindle motor is brushless or not, I'm assuming the inverter is built into the controller box.

My initial line of research failed since I was searching for 1.2kw instead of 1.5kw, there is quite a few examples I've found now of the 1.5 on the 3040 and even this one with a 2.2kw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htsXSj8kclI&t=337s its a monstrosity but seems to run fine.

3040 seems a little too small, 6040 is better, on my opinion.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

With that 2.2kw spindle machine, take note he's changed all the electronics, and the steppers have been replaced with much more powerful ones!

There's no way the electronics/mechanics on a standard 3040 would support a 2.2kw spindles weight and use, I have serious doubts it would support a 1.5kw spindle in any meaningful way.

The spindle in your pic looks like maybe it's one of the 65mm diameter variety, don't know what they weigh but I guesss suck it and see, dial down the feedrate if it starts losing steps.

A 1.5kw on a 6040 to my mind is the practical limit. On a 3040 I think an 800w spindle/VFD would be pushing the performance and reliability limits somewhat if you wanted to do any form of serious machining.

And by serious, I don't mean REALLY hogging/pushing it, I simply mean any decent sized 3D toolpath at a respectable DOC and feed rate.

cheers, Ian

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much, you've still got a cheap entry level ticket into the cnc world.

Either it will do what you want reasonably well within it's limits, or it will just be the first of many machines along the path.

I'd be curious of the dimensions and weight of your 1.5kw spindle (not a DC brushed one?), as I would have thought the weight and size would far exceed what the 3040 could comfortably support and run.

cheers, Ian
    I agree....It will get you started in the hobby and you will have lots of fun with it.
    No contest if its 1/2 the price of the 6040.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    With that 2.2kw spindle machine, take note he's changed all the electronics, and the steppers have been replaced with much more powerful ones!

There's no way the electronics/mechanics on a standard 3040 would support a 2.2kw spindles weight and use, I have serious doubts it would support a 1.5kw spindle in any meaningful way.

The spindle in your pic looks like maybe it's one of the 65mm diameter variety, don't know what they weigh but I guesss suck it and see, dial down the feedrate if it starts losing steps.

A 1.5kw on a 6040 to my mind is the practical limit. On a 3040 I think an 800w spindle/VFD would be pushing the performance and reliability limits somewhat if you wanted to do any form of serious machining.

And by serious, I don't mean REALLY hogging/pushing it, I simply mean any decent sized 3D toolpath at a respectable DOC and feed rate.

cheers, Ian
    Ok yep, I assumed you were just referring to its physical ability to hold it up and didn't consider the stepper motor power. Maybe the rear panel of the controller can tell us something? I'm not entirely sure what "drive voltage DC24V Drive current 3A" is referring to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails controller.jpg