585,763 active members*
4,408 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post Supermax Retrofit with kanalog

Hi, I bought the Kflop/Kanalog combo 2 years ago and am now getting around to installing it. I gutted the control cabinet and installed a PC with the K/K mounted to it and power supplies -5v for Kflop and 24v for limits and Estop. I'm using the original servos and drivers since they were in new condition still and did the AA battery test on them to make sure this would work.
    So I'm at the point where the boards are connected to the PC and the software installed and running. I don't have much electronic experience so I wanted confirmation that the connections won't be a problem before I tackle configuration, tuning and programming.
    I have single ended glass scales so I'm assuming I need differential line drivers to hook onto JP1 A0+ A0- etc. I've seen the other option is to use Kflop's JP5 but the Kanalog with the adapters will give better results. Is this correct?
    I've used JP11 for the DAC output to the drivers for the servos. The tachgens feed into these drivers.
    I've got my limits and Estop connected to JP15 0+,0- mostly because I couldn't understand how the enable switch worked on JP8.
    Is it just one switch or does it enable all the others when it is turned on? I think I would rather have the limits etc. on this switch so the servos don't take off when starting up rather than remembering to push the Estop everytime.
    I'm confused as to how I get this thing going. From all the threads I've read it seems to be assumed how you get from installing everything to the point of tuning the servos. but it's this in between information that I need. Do I fill in the blanks for the channels, axis and digital i/o's and press the send button on the console menu after putting in the dac0=100 to make sure it moves or do I need a C program downloaded to Kflop first or...?
    I feel kind of dumb asking this but I want to get this thing working. I'm sure I'll need help with the tuning but if I can get this part done that would be great. Thanks.

Re: Supermax Retrofit with kanalog

Hi Metalbook,

I have single ended glass scales so I'm assuming I need differential line drivers to hook onto JP1 A0+ A0- etc. I've seen the other option is to use Kflop's JP5 but the Kanalog with the adapters will give better results. Is this correct?
    correct. Configure an axis with Encoder Input and InputChan0=0 and the Axis Screen should report encoder movement.

I've used JP11 for the DAC output to the drivers for the servos. The tachgens feed into these drivers.
    This sounds correct. Your amplifiers should be operating in Velocity Mode (Input Voltage determines motor Velocity).

I've got my limits and Estop connected to JP15 0+,0- mostly because I couldn't understand how the enable switch worked on JP8.
    I'm not sure what you are saying. SWE is an output that you should use to keep everything disabled until after KFLOP boots up. You might see this article. It is also not clear how you wired the limits. The Limits should provide +24V to the opto inputs from an isolated supply.

but it's this in between information that I need. Do I fill in the blanks for the channels, axis and digital i/o's and press the send button on the console menu after putting in the dac0=100 to make sure it moves or do I need a C program downloaded to Kflop first or...?
    Start with one axis. Within KMotion.exe Set all three Config/Flash, Filters, and Step Response Screens. You might start by loading the configuration KanalogInitialPID.mot. Then Enable the Axis from the Step Response Screen. See the topic here.
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Re: Supermax Retrofit with kanalog

Thanks for the info. I have the limits connected with the Estop to the relay that activates the drives. I'll switch the connections to the Enable SWE to have more security. The pages you mentioned are helpful. I've ordered the diff line drivers so more reading while waiting. Thanks again. Peter