585,743 active members*
4,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > ask about how to import 3model into mastercam

ask about how to import 3model into mastercam

howdy..
    I want to make with pre harden dies. But is deadlocked..
    Is there any solution about how to import 3D model into mastercam?
    I made design on zbrush, then import to 3Dmax make it into STL, and then open into SolidWork.
    The problem is, on solidwork. I cant export/save as iges, step file. Because to many mesh (only display mode). I cant made a relief statue 3dmodel on solidwork, so am using zbrush to make it.
    My goal is execution on mastercam, Then I stopped at Solidwork because problem that I mentioned.
    Any solution?
    Pls, not artcam, because the machine only work with mastercam.

sincerely.

Syam

Re: ask about how to import 3model into mastercam

[email protected] send to me i have very powerfull pc i can make step file for you

Išsi?sta naudojantis SM-G960F Tapatalk 4 Lt

Quote Originally Posted by cnc-exit View Post
    [email protected] send to me i have very powerfull pc i can make step file for you

Išsi?sta naudojantis SM-G960F Tapatalk 4 Lt
    its not about powerfull pc. coz I already hv..

Quote Originally Posted by dj4w4s3s4t View Post
    But is deadlocked..
    Is there any solution about how to import 3D model into mastercam?
    I made design on zbrush, then import to 3Dmax make it into STL, and then open into SolidWork.
    The problem is, on solidwork. I cant export/save as iges, step file. Because to many mesh (only display mode). I cant made a relief statue 3dmodel on solidwork, so am using zbrush to make it.
    My goal is execution on mastercam, Then I stopped at Solidwork because problem that I mentioned.
    Any solution?
    Pls, not artcam, because the machine only work with mastercam.

sincerely.

Syam
    What do you mean..."deadlocked" ?
    .... your problem is when you make the STL file.... it is a mesh ( not a surface, not a solid, but you what to do things that require those types of entities)
    create a STEP or IGES file and then bring it straight into mastercam to create your toolpaths.

PS.... you have some mis-information... Mastercam CANNOT run a machine. It creates on-screen toolpaths, that are then parsed through a post processor (individually configured to your machine/control) to create an NC coded file.....
    That file is then used to "drive" your machine....

...... there is many different types of CADCAM software that perform in this manner. Mastercam is just one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    What do you mean..."deadlocked" ?
    .... your problem is when you make the STL file.... it is a mesh ( not a surface, not a solid, but you what to do things that require those types of entities)
    create a STEP or IGES file and then bring it straight into mastercam to create your toolpaths.

PS.... you have some mis-information... Mastercam CANNOT run a machine. It creates on-screen toolpaths, that are then parsed through a post processor (individually configured to your machine/control) to create an NC coded file.....
    That file is then used to "drive" your machine....

...... there is many different types of CADCAM software that perform in this manner. Mastercam is just one of them.
    deadlock means dead end.
    Yeach you were right, STL is a mesh. Its okay when I imported into solidwork, but only for displayed mode because to much mesh (coz I build relief statue, not a parts). So I cant export/save as into STEP or IGES as a solid file. The problem is, I need solidwork to export them into STEP/IGES and then sending them into mastemcam. I know mastercam cannot run a machine, but I need mastercam to create tooldpaths
    Because I want to made dies for stamping. any suggest?

I have used Freecad to convert a mesh to a body.It isn't particularly obvious how you go about the operation,but at least the software is free and a couple of hours playing may get you there.I know nothing of Solid Works but would have expected a few export options.You may find that the person who sold you Mastercam can also sell an add-on to help with the conversion-just be aware that if they introduce a new version of Mastercam,you might have to pay all over again to re-gain the functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I have used Freecad to convert a mesh to a body.It isn't particularly obvious how you go about the operation,but at least the software is free and a couple of hours playing may get you there.I know nothing of Solid Works but would have expected a few export options.You may find that the person who sold you Mastercam can also sell an add-on to help with the conversion-just be aware that if they introduce a new version of Mastercam,you might have to pay all over again to re-gain the functionality.
    I already try convert my STL into solid file on Freecad. But not responding for 3 hours and not finish
    Perhaps my mesh is 20.000 faces ++
    lol. I hate my project.. still stuck T_T

Quote Originally Posted by dj4w4s3s4t View Post
    I already try convert my STL into solid file on Freecad. But not responding for 3 hours and not finish
    Perhaps my mesh is 20.000 faces ++
    lol. I hate my project.. still stuck T_T
    As I said before..... get away from an STL model
    .... you will have major problems getting toolpaths to go around it. Plus tolerance settings can alter your shape ( ie a sphere could end up as a polygon )
    .... find a different filetype to bring into the CAD system that you wish to create the toolpaths. You may have to import wireframe entities into the CAD system that can create a feature that is usable for creating toolpaths.

Try DWG or DXF ... good for lines & arcs

The first post said the project is a 3D relief statue.How easy would it be to convert to a DWG or DXF?I do understand the time consuming aspect of Freecad converting an STL as I went through the process with an item that had more than 25,000 tiny facets and it'd fair share of ridges and flats.I suspect any file of a complex object will have a lot of features and will be rather large.Hence the considerable processing time.If I had to deal regularly with complex surfaces I think I would be using Rhino and that will export a good range of file types.The trouble with that approach is that it means yet more software expenditure.

I have been contacted by customer try to use Zbrush and bring files across. Now I thought that 3dmax takes a Zbrush file and there is an option and may be a paid option to output as an Iges.
    Now as for the STL it really maters on the shape that you can cut the part from the stl file. Now it this will be surfacing paths. but it does mater on what version of Mastercam with our new release of 2020 you can now make edge curves on the edges for you 2d cuts.

As for change the STL to surfaces for Iges or Solids for Step you will need to look at Geomagic or something siluar that costs lots of money.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .