585,722 active members*
4,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Internal Carbide threading inserts for small threading tool (need advice)

Internal Carbide threading inserts for small threading tool (need advice)

Hi!

I've got a cnc retrofitted mini mini lathe, with a mini QCTP and I plan to buy a 8mm thick indexable internal threading tool. This tool accepts 08 IR size inserts.

I'm new to this indexable world, so I'm still learning. And my world is metric.

So I'd like to do an imperial thread, 3/4 x 16 TPI. I'd like to know if these smaller inserts (08 IR) would allow me to do the job or if their cutting blades are too small.

And as I'm in the metric world, could someone point me the right specifications so I could do this thread? Maybe one for metals and one for softer materials (aluminum). I imagined something like IR 08 AG55, but there are plenty of different variations and searching catalogs I got lost in shims, angles, etc.

So, if not, if these inserts are too small for this, which size would be enough?

Thanks for reading..

Have a nice day!

Re: Internal Carbide threading inserts for small threading tool (need advice)

Quote Originally Posted by Rimbaldo View Post
    Hi!

I've got a cnc retrofitted mini mini lathe, with a mini QCTP and I plan to buy a 8mm thick indexable internal threading tool. This tool accepts 08 IR size inserts.

I'm new to this indexable world, so I'm still learning. And my world is metric.

So I'd like to do an imperial thread, 3/4 x 16 TPI. I'd like to know if these smaller inserts (08 IR) would allow me to do the job or if their cutting blades are too small.

And as I'm in the metric world, could someone point me the right specifications so I could do this thread? Maybe one for metals and one for softer materials (aluminum). I imagined something like IR 08 AG55, but there are plenty of different variations and searching catalogs I got lost in shims, angles, etc.

So, if not, if these inserts are too small for this, which size would be enough?

Thanks for reading..

Have a nice day!
    Take a look at Carmex there are may to choose from this is one of the best Iscar and Carmex are both good in this area
    Mactec54

Re: Internal Carbide threading inserts for small threading tool (need advice)

Small threads (yours is neither small nor large) are often done with a solid carbide ground threading tool. High end variants come from Micro 100, PH Horn, sandvik, etc. Most tooling manufacturers have a solid carbide boring/threading line. You can consider these for this application. Often they are much cheaper to buy into than an indexable tool.

Something like this: https://www.carbideanddiamondtooling...Bore.Series.30

Just an option