584,808 active members*
5,285 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > Autodesk Post Processors > Post processor for Fusion 360 to Sherline (LinuxCNC)

Post processor for Fusion 360 to Sherline (LinuxCNC)

I am trying to post to my Sherline CNC from Fusion 360 and the post is not correct. Has anybody found another one that will work?

Re: Post processor for Fusion 360 to Sherline (LinuxCNC)

Very, very few Post Processors will "work out of the box", even if it does say the PP is for LinuxCNC there are many configurations of the control out there so depending on how you have set up your LinuxCNC software to suit you and your machine the PP may need to be "tweaked" a little to suit.

Where is the difference between the code that your version of LinuxCNC will work on and what the Fusion 360 PP is generating, more information is needed, for example just what line of code does your LinuxCNC control error out ??

LinuxCNC uses pretty much a basic form of Fanuc G code specifically the RS274/NGC language, there is a Fusion 360 PP specifically for RS274D and I have downloaded it and put it in a Zip file and attached it to this reply for you, open the Zip file and then copy and paste the PP into your Personal Post Library in Fusion and try it out and maybe it will be closer to what you need, worth a try

Regards
    Rob

Thank you!.
    The current "LinuxCNC" PP in Fusion 360 will not even start..
    I loaded other "demo" files from the computer for the Sherline (supplied by sherline) and they all work fine.
    So i am starting to look at them in Word to see what it reads and what it looks like. Definitely different.
    Everything is different. I will try what you sent me to see how that works.

Hmm, what do you mean by "will not even start" ?? Do you mean that you are unable to generate any code at all?

I have done a simple 2D pocket in Fusion and used the LinuxCNC PP to post code, to me it looks fineand should run in yourcontrol.
    Attached is the Fusion 360 file Zipped up so you can open it and run it in your version of Fusion 360.
    Also attached is the .txt file with the G code as generated here, you can open it in Notepad or word if you like, you should be able to run the code without any problem, if the .txt extension is not accepted just change it to .nc and it should run.

Regards
    Rob

I can generate Gcode, but when I send it to the CNC, nothing happens. I can send other CNC files from my computer to the Sherline and it runs,but anything I create on Fusion 360, then post and send to the CNC, will not start to run.
    I assume it is the start of the file that it does not like, hence why it is not starting to run.
    The hard part is getting the posted file to read in the correct language (format) that the machine wants.

Or maybe I am missing a step or another file that goes along with the output.
    More confused now that before.

I used to write Gcode years ago and make CNC programs then send them to the machine.
    The sherline does not appear to be that simple.

OK, have you tried to run the G code I sent you, does the code that will run have a % sign at the start, if so then that may be the issue.

Can you post some code that works on here so we can see what it looks like please??

Regards
    Rob

I tried the one you sent.
    then I tried the RS274 post as well.
    Still not "starting"

I eliminated the % at the start of the file and now it says "tool 2 not recognized"
    so I guess I am getting closer ;-)

I found 3 files that are all associated with the .ngc file. Not sure why there are three files.
    one is a .ngc, one is a .py and the third is the .pyc
    I cant find anything that describes what these are for.
    I have a call in to Sherline, but they have already pointed the finger at a Fusion 360 issue. :tired:
    here is the start of one of the files that works:
    %
    (Program to mill a flowsnake)
    (K. Lerman)

o1000 sub
    #<level> = #1
    #<startX> = #2
    #<startY> = #3
    #<endX> = #4
    #<endY> = #5

o1001 if [#<level> EQ 0]
    g1 f10 x#<endX> y#<endY>