584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Somebody using soluble oil for mist cooling machining - no rust ? Mixture?

Somebody using soluble oil for mist cooling machining - no rust ? Mixture?

Hi, for example I got StaLube soluble oil . It is advertised as "no rust" . I've seen few videos of mist cooling systems successfully using it and I wanted something "oily" as close as possible to the WD-40 which I've used mostly for manual cutting, but preferred cheaper solutions, so I ordered it.
    Is somebody here who use soluble oil? What do you say about rusting? How much water do you mix in for mild steel, aluminum?

Re: Somebody using soluble oil for mist cooling machining - no rust ? Mixture?

I use Bassler 735 at about 7-10% concentration. Follow the Sta Lube label directions for the proper mix and mixing technique, you'll be fine. Clean up after the run and don't let coolant sit on the table overnight.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Jim, you have 90% water in there - do you ever see the rust on the machine? I am wondering 'cause I am not sure how well can we clean ? ... not all locations are accessible

Quote Originally Posted by eBirdman View Post
    How much water do you mix in for mild steel, aluminum?
    Some reading about different types and mixture ratio's.
    https://www.milacron.com/proper-mixing-practices/

Only if I let it pool on the machine and then let it sit. I only did that one time. For the most part, only the table top is really exposed, the rest of the machine should be fine. The way covers protect the guts, and everything should be well lubed and thus protected.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Jim, you gave me confidence in this kind of cooling I chose. Thank you. The highest concentration to use StaLube shown on the package 10% . So I'll do this . Last components should arrive on Monday, so next week I'll make my 1st step on my list to making CNC mill - the mist cooling system...

My pleasure.

We'll need some pictures of your build when you get to it.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Using many coolants in a mist system is a really bad idea, in terms of respiratory health. Coolants made for misting, like KoolMist, are specifically made to be non-toxic, because you WILL be breathing the mist...

Regards,
    Ray L.

I used 5% soluable oil and water in a Dyno I built out of a Chrysler fluid coupling unit ( like a torque converter with a manual clutch on the back of it) in about 1959. Probably had a lot of mist in it.

No Problems !!!

Don

Indeed Ray I am conscious about air breathing problem. This is one of the reasons I chose the oil over fluids. I don't trust the KoolMist idea that their chemicals fogged into air are OK for breathing. I don't believe any idea about "good chemicals in the air". I don't want ANY chemicals in the air except evaporated pure water. Correct pressure ratio and correct mix of oil-to-water-and-to-air should release oil into the droplets only, not to atomize oil into a fog. Bob (maxspongebob) provided very valuable info how to do this in this thread https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bench...77872-cnc.html
    His experiential results show that oil delivery pressure should be about 1-2 lbs higher than air pressure. He is using WD-40 . This way there is no smell in the air - all of the oil ends up in heavy droplets.
    This is the basic idea behind FogBuster and this is great idea I want to follow.

I decided on flood over mist. Cheaper to run a pump than compressor.
    10% bog standard soluble oil 90% water. Actually haven't had any rust problems and it actually keeps the machine quite clean. Downside is it gets everywhere!

About a flood system vs mist: I don't want to deal with filtering the return path of coolant. And also I don't have enclosure to limit the coolant spread. From the reports of those who use it Looks like cleaning the mill after using mist is easy (if mixture for the mist is done right)

I was considering a flood system for some time after I watched video somebody running mist system with very noisy air compressor... I thought if I am running CNC mill for more than an hour with such a noise I'll loose my sanity But I bought a very quiet air compressor (and efficient too in terms of amps)... now I am not afraid to run it longer...

Quote Originally Posted by eBirdman View Post
    About a flood system vs mist: I don't want to deal with filtering the return path of coolant. And also I don't have enclosure to limit the coolant spread. From the reports of those who use it Looks like cleaning the mill after using mist is easy (if mixture for the mist is done right)
    Filters were fairly stright forward. A couple of plastic boxes that fit inside each other, cutouts made with 400 & 200 micron SS mesh fitted giving a 2 stage filter. 4.5L capacity on mine.
    Although the box with the 200 does need cleaning often as it filters out the way oil too and builds up. Best of that is it don't go in the resevoir so no stinks.