584,802 active members*
5,023 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser CNC - X and Y design

Hey Guys

I am busy designing my own Laser CNC that will be 1500x1000x500 (maybe only 300) but there are so many designs and versions of X and Y configurations in terms of Stepper motors and belts etc.

Can i get an idea from people as to WHAT is the best X and Y configuration i could design with? I am trying to do a build that has the best design notes from different proven builds/designs.

Thanks

Re: Laser CNC - X and Y design

Keep in mind that the goal is to keep the beam somewhat centered on all mirrors and the final lens. The greater the distance the more of a challenge that will be. Nothing can bend bow or twist. Everything needs to be in a plane.
    If you can’t maintain alignment your range will be of no use. The key is to build a lot of adjustment into your design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dean - Your machine has to be very stiff to keep mirrors aligned, there are no contact loads but plenty of inertial loads with a fast laser. So you need to decide how fast you need and the design accelerations so you can design the structure. Find a commercial machine that fits your design needs and look at the dimensions of their parts. Are you going with a mirror or a light fibre design? Peter

Hey guys

Thanks for the input. I am going with co2 laser. All the mounts for x and y will be machined on my cnc from aluminium.

I will have a lot of adjustment built into the laser head mount and mirrors an tube mount etc to enable the best absolute beam alignment tube to head and head to surface. I am going to 300mm on Z.

Y will have a steal shaft across the back with a drive gear and belt to the stepper. I will probably split the shaft to ease belt replacement and maintenance

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    Keep in mind that the goal is to keep the beam somewhat centered on all mirrors and the final lens. The greater the distance the more of a challenge that will be. Nothing can bend bow or twist. Everything needs to be in a plane.
    If you can’t maintain alignment your range will be of no use. The key is to build a lot of adjustment into your design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One thing I'll definitely build into the design is adjustment on each leg because of size and often the workshop floor is not perfect so height on each will help to eliminate chassis twist which even slightly can affect beam alignment

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk