584,826 active members*
5,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > excello 602/ spindle wizard 610 exy retrofit/rebuild and i need help.

excello 602/ spindle wizard 610 exy retrofit/rebuild and i need help.

So i bought this mill because it was a rigid solid mill believing i would finish converting it back to a manual mill which i know how to operate. But i got this crazy idea in my mind and i plan to now cnc this machine. Now the machine was originally cnced by spindle wizard in the 60s or 70s but the system is trashed as the computer was destroyed and then a previous owner went and well cut every single air hose and cable they saw as they removed the cnc parts. so anyways i am now left with 3 motors for the axis's, multiple other motors for other things, lots of pnuematic cylinders, a regulator system, and a bunch of random things.I want to ask if anybody can help me identify if these are stepper motors or servo motors and what they are rated for so i can find a drive that will work for them and a power supply i do have a power suply but it has about 1000 wires in it and pc boards that i don't understand at all. They have 6 wires coming out and that is about all i know oh wait and they are heavy.
    .Attachment 232796
    The restoration part i pretty much get and will be posting as it moves along and i hope somebody can help me with these motors as i would like to use these as i already have the mounts and the z axis mount is quite complicated as it is the spindle not the knee.Another question i have is whats the deal with round ways? Are they good? Here is a picture of the mill as it stands now on the trailer.
    Attachment 232808
    Btw the straps are removed so that's why they look badly placed in the picture.

Re: excello 602/ spindle wizard 610 exy retrofit/rebuild and i need help.

Looks way different for 602's than the couple I owned? Looks larger and older, the 602's were Knee mills around the size of the B.P.
    Never seen one with those type ways either.
    As to the motors i would guess they are DC brushed servo's, but if you drop the rear cap off, it should be plain, servo's you will have an encoder.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

This was custom built machine from what i was told specifically for mold manufacturing hence the large table. But it is indeed a 602 as the serial is 6028200 and the plate clearly says model 602. I will check the motors tomorrow and i was really hoping they where steppers.

The head casting is quite different, I wonder how the Z axis differs, as there is no method of raising the table as in a knee mill version?
    What do the motors feel like when turning them by hand, if they cog quite significantly, then they would be steppers, but they appear on the large side to be so.
    Al.

Albert E.

In that picture the head? i think that's what it is called is upside down to lower the center of gravity and for me to find out after it was recommended to me to spill out a gallon of the dirtiest oil i have ever seen oil so thick that's is was almost grease. i will check the motors just gotta run outside the the shed.

i just went and checked the motors and i am gonna go with they are stepper because i can definitely feel a defined stops i guess i cant explain i guess a cogging action.

On the 602's I have, Excello recommended a change in G.B. oil to transmission fluid.
    Al.

Albert E.

This is what my mill says Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (36).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	232840

I now need help with the motor controller as they are steppers and i found thisAttachment 232880
    inside the motor so with that info can anybody recommend a controller i was lookingn at gecko drives

Since you have steppers this sounds like an easy retrofit. 3 geckos, a breakout board, power supply, and a PC. My 602 uses 8 amp steppers at 80 volts. I am using the cheap Chinese amps from ebay and it runs fine. It used to have a Centroid CNC4 controller but I got tired of the non graphical interface and I am now using LinuxCNC. Have fun with your rebuild! Here is a link to my retrofit.

Excello Knee Mill Retrofit | Carpenters Woodworking and…..

John C

Just as an update after i guess maybe 3 years. I ended up joining the military and have not really had the time to complete this project but slowly it comes together. As it sits now it only has 2 cnc axis but i only need to install the z axis assembly and buy the last drive to complete it. i ended up using kelling dc servos and gecko 320x drives. everything is working fine with mach 3 but i want to switch to linux cnc or maybe even path pilot depending. the machine is nowhere near done although it is in service making parts for my brothers company. ill post up some pictures. i do have a few questions such as im seeing alot of grooving in the linear rails is this common? they are thomson 1-1/4 rails with super 20 bushings.i had to replace a couple of the bushings and pretty soon i will be replacing the rails. My plan is to get this machine working enough to afford a newer bigger machine.

I also have plans of driving the motor via vfd becuase that worn out varispeed is loud as can be. What are the suggestions on v belt vs serpentine (poly v) or toothed belt drive? i would like to keep the same motor just because of cost.

also im in search of parts for this machine.the spindle brake shoe is broken. so if anybody can help there id really appreciate it.

I removed the vari-speed and fitted a timing belt and pulley, 1:1.
    The gear box gives around 6:1 also a Mitsubishi VFD fitted.
    Al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0220.jpg  

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I removed the vari-speed and fitted a timing belt and pulley, 1:1.
    The gear box gives around 6:1 also a Mitsubishi VFD fitted.
    Al.
    Do you have a tachometer setup? How exactly do you control the spindle? You wouldn't be able to tell me the pulleys and belt you used would you? And did it help with the noise?

The cogged wheel was a on there to calibrate the VFD rpm parameter.
    I used a Mitsubishi VFD 240v 1ph in for the 3ph stock motor.
    I am not sure if I still have a record of the belt/timing pulley, I will see if I can dig it out.
    Al.

Albert E.

The pulleys are Martin 20H150, 20 tooth by 1.5".
    I don't have the belt number.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The pulleys are Martin 20H150, 20 tooth by 1.5".
    I don't have the belt number.
    Al.
    Ok Thankyou

question what is the center to center distance? And what is the bore size?

I'm away from my machine that's why I ask sorry.

Did you convert your machine to direct drive? I'm having some issues with the vari drive on my excello and I would like to do the conversion. My machine has the NMTB 40 spindle so i'm not sure if the size is the same. Is the motor shaft 1.5"? ( i need to pull off the vari pulley to check mine.)

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ianagos View Post
    Ok Thankyou

question what is the center to center distance? And what is the bore size?

I'm away from my machine that's why I ask sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by dholzric View Post
    Did you convert your machine to direct drive? I'm having some issues with the vari drive on my excello and I would like to do the conversion. My machine has the NMTB 40 spindle so i'm not sure if the size is the same. Is the motor shaft 1.5"? ( i need to pull off the vari pulley to check mine.)
    Dan
    Mine had the 1:1 and 6:1 reduction GB as well as the VariSpeed, so I just removed the Varispeed and retained the G.B. and made the motor to GB 1:1 and used the GB low gear for low RPM machining.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks. I tore apart the head and it ended up that the pneumatic brake on the head was catching. I will probably still convert it over to direct drive as soon as I get the pulleys and belt.