584,833 active members*
5,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > please, i need a " trick " : how to align a long drill on a misaligned turret ?
Page 1 of 3 123

please, i need a " trick " : how to align a long drill on a misaligned turret ?

hello all the radial turret, is a bit misalinged, only on z : 0.12mm over 100mm

please, how to align a loooong drill, without aligning the turret ? kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Re: please, i need a " trick " : how to align a long drill on a misaligned turret ?

You just need a flexible drill bit...

Just kidding - no, you can't expect to drill a straight hole if the part isn't lined up straight with the drill. The longer the drill bit, is, the more evident the inaccuracy will be.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: please, i need a " trick " : how to align a long drill on a misaligned turret ?

Option 1

Spot drill
    Stub drill
    Long drill

Option 2
    Spot drill
    Stub drill
    Bore hole
    Long drill.

.12 is not a lot out of center

Generally you can tap it in if you are using er collet.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Hammer. It will straighten out.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Drill from both ends half way thru Part (s)

Fix that turret....it will always be off centre if it ain't fixed good...….the longer the drill the further off centre the point will be, but a long drill will be flexible enough to pull itself into centrality once the drill starts to bite provided the part was centre drilled first.
    Ian.

radial turret, is a bit misalinged, only on z : 0.12mm over 100mm
    please, what should i put between the turret and the toolholder, in order to reduce/adjust the missalignment ?

whatever it is, maybe it should :
    ... not damage the surface of the turret or of the toolholder; even micro-surface scratches should not occur
    ... be coolant resistant

kindly

Google turret alignment

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

If it has to be accurate, place some mild steel in the turret and a drill or toolbit in the chuck. Than drill or turn the mild steel to hold the requested tool. In just a few minutes, you have a perfectly aligned tool.

In just a few minutes, you have a perfectly aligned tool.
    hi hfjbuis, it works, but is not repetable ... also, i am afraid that i will have to align the drill inside the chuck / kindly

it works, but is not repetable
    If you don't (re)move the "drilled" holder, the long drill should be repeatably (re)placed exactly the same!

Check the shaft, it may be crooked damaged or the size is stamped (should be lasered)!
    If you can, use a tapered shaft.
    To much pressure during drilling will bend any shaft, especially long ones.
    Maybe the misalignment of the turret is not repeatably!

i am afraid that i will have to align the drill inside the chuck
    If the placement of a drill in the chuck isn't accurate enough, use a turning tool or single tooth endmill to "drill" the hole at the final diameter!

thanks guys thank you hfjbuis / kindly

do you have enough space between the holder and the pocket to shim it?

hi skywalker, i could shim between toolholder & turret; but what should i put in there ? surfaces are very smooth, and if i use metalic shim, then i will damage those surfaces; even a micro-scratch is a 'damage' that i wish to avoid / kindly

Look up gun drills

Look up gun drills
    please machinejack, do you have a specific link ? kindly

Hey kitten just google deep hole gun drill this is how they made gun barrels. I once drilled two 5/8" parallel holes thru 36" 4140 and only had .010 run out.

hello machinejack, far as i know, gun holes are machined using at least one guide bush ( pilot sleeve, etc ) in front of the part

in other applications, deep holes are machined without them

so far, whatever infos i have searched on the www about these techniques, i only found general infos, but no ideas about how to align on a missaligned turret; should i keep searching ? kindly

deadly, i have used plastic shims, no damage to pocket.
    as far as gundrilling, that is what we do here, you are correct, we use whip guides, that follow the drill.
    we have used gundrills on one horizontal machine, ok results.i think you need to align it, do you have holder you could modify to let you adjust it?

hello skywalker i also used plastic shims, making adjsutments up to <0.025/150 mm ( turret is still at 0.12/100 ), and i believe that i may reach smaller values by using a thinner plastic

do you believe that the plastic will melt with coolant ? what kind of plastic are you using ?

next day, i checked the alignment again, and it was the same ... i am afraid that alignment will get lost if plastic will compress too much over time

do you have holder you could modify to let you adjust it?
    i don't modify the holder, but simply put those shims underneath it / kindly

Page 1 of 3 123