585,676 active members*
4,294 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

protecting/cleaning lead screw

I'm wondering how one would protect the lead screw under the table from getting covered in cuttings... i would think that if the screw is spinning that would sling off most of the stuff.. but some will still stick and get into the nut... do you use a wiper, or brush infront and behind the nut, or what is the commonly accepted and or proven method of taking care of this??? ive even gone so far as to consider some sort of ultra light weight accordian bellows situation that the screw rides in....
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

For wipers some here are using silcone caulk, personally I still think that you need some type of bellows....I'm not at that stage in my construction, but I anticipate that I'll need a bellows of some type.

I had the same problem. I have a older shopbot PR32. It's the one with ball screws and unistrut contruction. Its a moving table design which exposes the y axis ball screw and dust will find it. I ended up mounting a sheet of fiberglass fire blanket on each end of the table which drapes over the end of the table supports. Works pretty well and I rarely have to clean my y screw. Now if I can just come up with something for the x screw which is suspended over the table.

Actually, I'm quite shocked that more people aren't replicating the pr32 as home builts. Unistrut, conduit, patio door rollers, misc extrusion. About the only custom stuff are the pieces that hold the unistrut together.

John

could you post a couple pics of this thing?
    i have an idea, but would like to conferm it by seeing what you have
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

I use older style ShopVac hose that collapses easily. It is basically a large spring covered in plastic. I can only find it at a vacuum cleaner supply because Home Depot only carries the newer style of hose that is hard plastic that bends easily but does not collapse. Attach the hose at both ends over the screw and it expands and contracts easily keeping the screw spotless.

Quote Originally Posted by project5k View Post
    could you post a couple pics of this thing?
    i have an idea, but would like to conferm it by seeing what you have

No problem. Here are a few pix. First one shows a closeup of the z axis. The second one shows an overall view and you can see the fire blanket at the back of the table draped over the back motor support. The third is a shot from under the table showing the y axis screw and associated mess. I may be able to take some better shots later, if you need to see more.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01041.JPG   DSC01042.JPG   DSC01043.JPG  

Am thinking of using an old bikes rubber inner tube. I intend to cut a small square of rubber and punching a small hole through the centre(a lot smaller than the ACME thread). Thread the rod through the hole and clamping between the antibacklash nut and a faceplate. I will post the results on my Clueless newbie thread(hopefully in the next couple of weeks).

ok, i got the idea now... i will say that i do like the sould of the vac hose tho... what kind of stretch and collapse do you get, say a 1' peice relaxed, will stretch to?? and will colapse to???

I just stretched the hose out, laid it against the leadscrew at max. travel, and cut it at that length, but, I also used a 2" hose. The 2" collapsed easier and allowed for more compression.

Someone here used a Slinky covered with a nylon stocking - I believe there were pics posted on this site, but I cannot locate any at the moment.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

slinky huh??? i hope it was one of thoes plastic ones.. but thats not a half bad idea... heck thats a pretty engenious idea!!!

Quote Originally Posted by txcowdog View Post
    I use older style ShopVac hose that collapses easily. It is basically a large spring covered in plastic. I can only find it at a vacuum cleaner supply because Home Depot only carries the newer style of hose that is hard plastic that bends easily but does not collapse. Attach the hose at both ends over the screw and it expands and contracts easily keeping the screw spotless.
    That seems like a pretty good ideal. Do you have any pics of the setup. Something I could print out and take around to see if any of the shops around here sell them.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

it woulnd't expand infinitly or contract to zero would it?
    you need to sacrafice some of axis travel for this setup

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5392

I was trying to find the thread about the cardboard folded bellows....

Steve

very interesting... i actually had a thought on how im gonna do mine.. im gonna stretch a cable inline over the screw, maby 1" above it or so, and thread the plastic slinky covered with something, maby a stocking, maby something else.. then attach both ends of the slinkey.. one to the frame and 1 to the gantry, and repeat for the other side...this will keep the slinky from drooping onto the screw, and will allow it to slide freely... ok, yea after a few thousand cycles the cable might cut through the slinkey, then i'll re think it... just an idea at this point anyway

My ACME thread arrived today:wee: (I have had no end of trouble getting some). Attached image shows the results of testing my rubber CRUD CATCHER(Trade mark).The rod was covered in oil and crud and you can see how much was wiped in just 12". Its very Heath Robinson at present but their will be 2 of these either side of the nut with a faceplate to hold it in place. Rubber is from a bicycle inner tube and used a hole punch for the hole. Cheap as chips and simple.

Liam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wiper.jpg  

bicycle inner tube huh? thats just crazy enough to work. i just cant get the image of a slinky bouncing around under my table tho......
    "its slinky, its slinky, why dont you give it a go, its slinky its slinky, fun for a screw or DRO!"

hehehehe

would something like this work? they are dirt bike fork boots, the only thing is the 2 ends are different sizes...just a thought
    http://www.cycleconnect.com/shop/pro...&catalogId=212
    Robert

i dont see why that wouldnt work, just so long as your sure about the total collapsed length and the expanded length, and that it will work with your setup...

Page 1 of 2 12