584,850 active members*
4,301 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Choosing the right CNC milling machine

Question Choosing the right CNC milling machine

Hi! It's Alessio. I am planning to buy a small CNC milling machine for my hobby work on electric skateboard. I build mainly brushless motor and other stuffs that require aluminium most of the time. I have a small router that I have been using for milling aluminium, but as you can imagine is extremely inefficient in cutting metal. Of course it is was not made for that and it only allows me to remove 0.2mm of metal on the Z axis each time, leading to 5-6 hours milling operation instead of maybe 45 minutes. Therefore I decided to get a CNC mill too. I read about converting a good starting milling machine like BF20 (I am un EU, the only one I can get easy), but I am already saturated of project so if I can find a decent prebuilt one would be nice. I am already upgrade my router with new stepper motors, drives, breakout board and not willing to do it again. Of course open to modify the machine in the future. I have been searching locally but prices are really high and options limited. So I also looked to China CNC milling machine. Please before start to say is Chinese so is bad ecc, just think that most of the good CNC that we buy here are rebranded, I can post a machine that looks the same of BF20 or PM machine (https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...1dac1053OCMBys). I already bought Chinese machine in the past and still up and running fine. If you do the right research you can find a good deal for the money. So here the list of the machine I have selected, unfortunately I can not find too much about it on the western website, except for the Sieg KX3 that seems a really nice machine, but a bit too expensive for me.

- TM13. The price is really tempting. Final price shipped is around 1550$. The machine looks sturdy and capable of what I need.
    https://czxlt.en.alibaba.com/product...1cab3e5fkWjRdg

- Sumore SP2213, They same is the same of sieg KX3. They say same machine https://sumore-machine.en.alibaba.co...1cab3e5fkWjRdg
    https://sumore-machine.en.alibaba.co...1b1b6529zsl5iJ

- the one I listed above that looks like the BF20, already CNC converted.
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...1dac1053OCMBys

- XK7113 similar to the TM13
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...494b42dey5fSQ1

As far I can see all these machines have ballscrews, linear rails. All are controlled with MAch3, whihc is fine since I use it already. What I am not really enthusiastic is the 400-500W spindle. Not sure it is enough, sounds small in my mind, but I came from the router world where I used 1.1Kw and 2.2Kw spindles.

I would really appreciate if you could help me decide. Better if you know something on these machines or you see something that has to be asked before purchase. There are some critical parts that do not sound good in the specs?

Thank you very much for the help!
    Ciao ciao

Re: Choosing the right CNC milling machine

Hi,
    Little update I also got the possibility to get locally a second hand, almost new, Optimum BF20L CNC converted by a German company with ballscrews too. The machines looks really nice and I could grab it for a bit less than 3000 Euro. Do you think it is worth it? I know it's one of the most common one, so probably easier to get support about it.
    I will go to see it soon so please let me know what do you think!
    Thank you

The machines located in China will cost alot to ship to europe.

I think a machine already located in the EU would be cheapest because shipping would be less. Make sure to know if the electronic box with the motor driver circuits is included in the price.

Better alternative would be to buy used Emco, they can do pretty decent work despite being small. Something like VMC100 has umbrella magazine and enough power.
    Or if you can fit bigger toolroom mill and retrofit that. I would not pay 3k€ for a small chinese toy mill when you can get a real tool for the same money.

well actually all the machine will be shipped by boat and shipping cost are like 50$. Of course you have to add taxes on it. What about the BF20L that I found locally? In the proce everythign in included except the PC, but I have Mach3 already for my router.

I will check Emco. thanks. What about the BF20L that I found locally? I read quite nice stuff about it. It was converted by the man himself https://einfach-cnc.de/bf20-version-2/ and everything is included in the price. Machine should have less then 100 hours of work. I know the spindle is not great on this machine but I think for my hobby projects it would do great!

If you want to purchase a machine that is already CNC and have the choice of the machines in China or a local machine, I suggest buying the local machine, if extra tools or equipment are offered with the local machine then it is an even better situation.

A machine that has been used for 100 hours has had alot of problems already fixed. A new machine from China has too many possibilities of problems compared to the used machine.

Yes I think you are right. That's why I will probably go with that one. The guy seems really nice. We are going to do some works together to check the machine first. I 5hink thst sub 3000 Euro there is nothing I can take here in Europe at the same level. Plus this one is already converted and I need it to work with it sooner than later. I know the optimum bf20L is rather old machine and probably now new ones are better. I really like the siege kx3 but more expensive even from the factory in China. Plus 45days shipping. I already imported a lot of stuffs from China and I know how to do it but still prefe eof the machine it's hear and I can check it before. Only thing I do not like it of the bf20 is the spindle be only 3000 rpm. I am use to my router where I go 17Krpm with 2 flutes carbide end mill for aluminum. What kind of end mill would you suggested for machining aluminum 6061 at let say 300-400mm/minutes at least 1-2mn depth of cut? Like 2 flutes or more to overcome the less spindle revolution? Thanks

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Ah forgot to say the end mill size. I usually use 3.175mm end mill. Would like to use 6-8mm endmill too.

How about the Optimum MH25V? You can check my thread related to this machine.

It is a bit more expensive then the BF20 (approx. +1200 euro) but has all the features that you would anyhow later add to the BF20: belt drive, 1.5kW 3 phase AC motor + VFD, 4000 RPM, BT30 spindle with quick tool change, counterbalanced head, +100kg weight, more Y travel.

Therefore the price delta is justified by these stock features. If you were to add these features yourself you would probably spend more money, not to consider the manhours to mod the machine and add them.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I will check your thread then. Do you think 2700 for that machine CNC converted by a factory ecc is not worth it? I saw some nice machining project done with the BF20 and Grizzly G0704 which are virtually the same machine.

Nice machine. It's clear the difference with the bf20. Problem there is not CNC version and I need a machine to work with for on going project I have. I found it I guess from the factory in China. You can save quite some https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...628787893.html. Before that people say it, shipping by boat is like 50-100$ and you have to add a bit of taxes but still will be less. I am gonna ask if they have the CNC version but I can not find it.

Quote Originally Posted by DLF View Post
    How about the Optimum MH25V? You can check my thread related to this machine.

It is a bit more expensive then the BF20 (approx. +1200 euro) but has all the features that you would anyhow later add to the BF20: belt drive, 1.5kW 3 phase AC motor + VFD, 4000 RPM, BT30 spindle with quick tool change, counterbalanced head, +100kg weight, more Y travel.

Therefore the price delta is justified by these stock features. If you were to add these features yourself you would probably spend more money, not to consider the manhours to mod the machine and add them.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Yes apparently the factory is the correct one and that have the CNC version. I asked what the price is, but probably would be too much for my budget.