584,829 active members*
4,690 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Can I use (Stranded) #8 wire?

Question Can I use (Stranded) #8 wire?

Hi,
    I'm wanting to know if I can use Stranded #8 wire or is there solid wire for connecting power to my 2004 Haas TM-1?
    Going about 30' from breaker box to machine in my residential garage. Going with a 50amp breaker, 220v single phase as power requirements on Haas spec sheet.
    Also can the ground go from the machine panel to an earth ground (rod through the cement floor)?

Thanks MM

Re: Can I use (Stranded) #8 wire?

You want to use stranded THHN wire. Put it in conduit from the breaker panel to the machine, I like plastic conduit. Bring in a ground (green wire) from the breaker panel along with the power wires, do not ground with a rod through the concrete, your breaker panel should have a ground bus in it. The ground wire can be 1 size smaller (#10) than the power wires. If your breaker panel does not have a proper ground, then fix that first, consult an electrician for local codes.

As an alternative, you could use SO cable (black 3 conductor cable, like a heavy extension cord), but that is not the best practice and it's expensive.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hey thanks for the reply Jim,
    I have an older breaker panel and am wondering if the (White wire) is the Ground/Neutral where the ground from the machine would go?
    The one or (double tier) with all the white wires. I don't believe this box has separate grounding / neutral bars? See Pic
    Thought about adding a 6 hole grounding bar inside the left area of box on insulated standoffs n tap into the existing bar so I would have more places for grounding?

I'm gonna get some quotes on panel replacement but thought I would try that first.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMoog View Post
    I have an older breaker panel and am wondering if the (White wire) is the Ground/Neutral where the ground from the machine would go?
    The one or (double tier) with all the white wires. I don't believe this box has separate grounding / neutral bars? See Pic
    That panel is an antique, but proabaly meets code. The neutral eventually goes to ground somewhere. The ground could be tied to a water pipe or a rod in the ground, but it may go all the way back to the pole and be grounded there. I would look around a bit for a ground rod, it may be grounded at the meter. I'm not sure if adding a real earth ground to the neutral would meet code.

Thought about adding a 6 hole grounding bar inside the left area of box on insulated standoffs n tap into the existing bar so I would have more places for grounding?

I'm gonna get some quotes on panel replacement but thought I would try that first.

Thanks

It looks like a wiring diagram on the right, that might give you some hint about grounding. I would consult with an electrician to be sure, but I think you can add an earth ground to the panel, directly bonded to the panel, rather than on standoffs. Not connected to the neutral. The old way of doing it was to tie the ground to the neutral in the panel. But what you don't want to do in a CNC machine is to get weird harmonics in the power caused by ground loops.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I would agree you need to find out if the neutral is earth grounded at the panel, what does the legend stuck on the back of the panel show as to any earth reference?
    Modern code is the N should be connected to GND at the panel, which is obtained either by metalic water pipe etc or 2 8ft ground rods placed a min of 6ft apart.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    You want to use stranded THHN wire. Put it in conduit from the breaker panel to the machine, I like plastic conduit. Bring in a ground (green wire) from the breaker panel along with the power wires, do not ground with a rod through the concrete, your breaker panel should have a ground bus in it. The ground wire can be 1 size smaller (#10) than the power wires. If your breaker panel does not have a proper ground, then fix that first, consult an electrician for local codes.

As an alternative, you could use SO cable (black 3 conductor cable, like a heavy extension cord), but that is not the best practice and it's expensive.
    The grounding rod is not for the machine ground, it if for lightning and static protection.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Hi,
    I'm wanting to know if I can use Stranded #8 wire or is there solid wire for connecting power to my 2004 Haas TM-1?
    Going about 30' from breaker box to machine in my residential garage. Going with a 50amp breaker, 220v single phase as power requirements on Haas spec sheet.
    Also can the ground go from the machine panel to an earth ground (rod through the cement floor)?

Thanks MM
    No you can not add another Ground rod unless it is bonded to the main Power supply Ground Rod

8 AWG is only good for 40A so if your machine requires more than 40A then you will need the next size up which would be 6 AWG

Your cable needs to be rated 125% more than you total amp requirments
    Mactec54

Thanks
    You should get the vacuum and clean that box out, or blow it out with dry air, you have 2 wires in there that have been overheated, what ever they are supplying power to needs to be looked at
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post

The Ground wire can not be 1 size smaller
    Mactec54

This is GREAT INFO guy's, KEEP it coming!
    This way I will have the proper foundation to get this up n running smoothly the FIRST time!!!

I knew I could count on The ZONE n all the peep's whom have helped me countless times before!
    Lotsa knowledge.

Thanks, MM

Looking at this photo...you might need to install something like this https://www.bptfittings.com/store/bushings/conduit.html
    that Black wire might be getting cut into by the sharp edged fitting...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnczone 240v 3 wire service box.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	418738
    I am hired for the job? how much does it pay..lol
    bless this mess 2020

watt's in name https://www.moog.com/
    southern california...old school