584,866 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Shizuoka AN-S mill information

Well it looks like I am about to become the proud owner of a Shizuoka AN-S mill. It has a Milltronics C6 control update on a C4 so from the control side I am fairly comfortable. The mechanical side is a little different. Does anyone have any manuals or information on the AN-S mill itself? I will need to remove the spindle air ratchet and possibly the motor and since I am renting the teleloader for unloading from the truck time is indeed money. Any help, anecdotes, or comments on my sanity in general are appreciated.

Re: Shizuoka AN-S mill information

The PDB stuff comes off pretty easy. The motor is a bit more complicated because of the variable speed pulley, and it's a bit heavy, around 125 lbs.

The easiest way to get the motor off is to open the motor pulley to its maximum and stuff in a block to keep it open. Then crank the other end to loosen the belt. For a block I used a piece of 1 1/2 inch pipe, cut in half lengthwise, about 1.5 inch long. Not much room to get it in there but it's doable. Weld a short length of chain onto the block so you can get it back out.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks for the response. Is that an AN-S you are standing next to? I'm really having a hard time dropping the hammer on this for a number of reasons but my primary concern is size. The bottom of the rafters in my shop are 7' (84") and the shop is only 24' x 30' long. As much as I like the Shizuoka's in the knee mill category I'm not sure I want to wrestle a 125 pound motor through the rafters.

Nice shop by the way.

Yes, that is an AN-S with a 24 tool changer

It does have a pretty big footprint, it's a big machine. The height to the top of the motor is about 7' 6'' and to the top of the drawbar motor is about 8' 2''. They are nice machines. I've not really used it, just a couple of quick cuts when my other mill was tied up. It came in for a retrofit, and now is for sale.

Thank you.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I've got an AN-SB which is mechanically almost identical to the AN-S (no varispeed and no sliding ram). I also have the AN-S parts list which is the closest you will get to a manual. I scanned it and Matt Wortley loaded a copy on his blog. If you look at this page where it says 2016-09-08, there's a link to the PDF amongst other docs. It's not easy to make some bits out but the original document is 35 years old. At least you can figure a lot of stuff out from the drawings. I also have the manual but it doesn't tell you much more than the dimensions, weight, how to lift it etc.

https://sites.google.com/site/yeltro...trofit-page-10

I've had most of mine in pieces now, apart from the knee and table. They are fairly easy to work on apart from the sheer weight - and the bearings etc are fairly standard sizes. I've changed all the thrust bearings and the spindle bearings which wasn't difficult. It's all top quality stuff like HSK ballscrews and bearings. My original controller used DC brushed servos rather then the steppers that were used in US versions and they work fine with cncdrives servo drives.

Done quite a bit on mine now. With a modern controller (currently Centroid Acorn) and modern toolpaths (Fusion 360), these things can really fly. I have the Fadal / Summit ATC and the corresponding installation / operating manual but will have to wait until I have more IO before I can connect it up.

Here's a section view from the parts list that shows how the head is constructed:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shiz head section view.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	420760

Let me know if I can help out from my own experience.

Shizuoka an-s

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    I've got an AN-SB which is mechanically almost identical to the AN-S (no varispeed and no sliding ram). I also have the AN-S parts list which is the closest you will get to a manual. I scanned it and Matt Wortley loaded a copy on his blog. If you look at this page where it says 2016-09-08, there's a link to the PDF amongst other docs. It's not easy to make some bits out but the original document is 35 years old. At least you can figure a lot of stuff out from the drawings. I also have the manual but it doesn't tell you much more than the dimensions, weight, how to lift it etc.

https://sites.google.com/site/yeltro...trofit-page-10

I've had most of mine in pieces now, apart from the knee and table. They are fairly easy to work on apart from the sheer weight - and the bearings etc are fairly standard sizes. I've changed all the thrust bearings and the spindle bearings which wasn't difficult. It's all top quality stuff like HSK ballscrews and bearings. My original controller used DC brushed servos rather then the steppers that were used in US versions and they work fine with cncdrives servo drives.

Done quite a bit on mine now. With a modern controller (currently Centroid Acorn) and modern toolpaths (Fusion 360), these things can really fly. I have the Fadal / Summit ATC and the corresponding installation / operating manual but will have to wait until I have more IO before I can connect it up.

Here's a section view from the parts list that shows how the head is constructed:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shiz head section view.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	420760

Let me know if I can help out from my own experience.
    i know this post is antique-but i'm pat in sebastopol calif. and i NEED someone just like you !!-i am working on my shiz varidrive and have a big ? !! can't separate the sheaves on the spindle side-any chance you are still around,or another kind soul to answer some ?'s-thanks,pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1055.jpg  
    Last edited by catpat; 02-06-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Yes, that is an AN-S with a 24 tool changer

It does have a pretty big footprint, it's a big machine. The height to the top of the motor is about 7' 6'' and to the top of the drawbar motor is about 8' 2''. They are nice machines. I've not really used it, just a couple of quick cuts when my other mill was tied up. It came in for a retrofit, and now is for sale.

Thank you.
    i'm trying a few of you fellows who are talking about these shizuoka mills-REALLY need advice on disassembly of vari drive sheaves-is that something you could help on?-thanks,pat

Quote Originally Posted by catpat View Post
    i'm trying a few of you fellows who are talking about these shizuoka mills-REALLY need advice on disassembly of vari drive sheaves-is that something you could help on?-thanks,pat
    well,if anyone is interested,i got it figured out-so if anyone ever needs help,i can tell them the disassembly/reassy technique!-thanks,pat

I've got an AN-S I am putting centroid controls on. not familiar at all the the shizuoka mill but - - - I would sure like to trade contact info for future reference but I can't find how to send a personal message on this forum.

let me no if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by missouri100 View Post
    I've got an AN-S I am putting centroid controls on. not familiar at all the the shizuoka mill but - - - I would sure like to trade contact info for future reference but I can't find how to send a personal message on this forum.

let me no if interested.
    Have a look at my blog where I converted my Shizuoka AN-SB to Centroid Acorn. www.murraye.com

You could message me there presumably.

Also I have a Youtube channel. No word, just action.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo5...3xQ0xCrZfi9dIA

Quote Originally Posted by catpat View Post
    well,if anyone is interested,i got it figured out-so if anyone ever needs help,i can tell them the disassembly/reassy technique!-thanks,pat
    I'm repairing my varispeed unit right now. I'm having a heck of a time getting it to come off the motor. It seems like is should just press off. I removed the screw up into the end of the motor shaft and it doesn't seem to want to budge.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks-n-chips View Post
    I'm repairing my varispeed unit right now. I'm having a heck of a time getting it to come off the motor. It seems like is should just press off. I removed the screw up into the end of the motor shaft and it doesn't seem to want to budge.
    As I recall, I used a Harbor Freight split bearing puller and some all-thread puller bolts on mine. Don't remember what I used for the puller screw, probably something I had laying around the shop.

Do you need another AN-S? I have a spare taking up floor space in my shop.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

As I recall, I used a Harbor Freight split bearing puller and some all-thread puller bolts on mine. Don't remember what I used for the puller screw, probably something I had laying around the shop.

Do you need another AN-S? I have a spare taking up floor space in my shop.
    I would give it a good home. Mine has been a workhorse.

The solution to getting the variator off the motor was to thread out the M8 cap screw in the end of the shaft about 2 turns and press on it with the variator supported with a pair of 1/2 bars of steel. Pressing on the head of the screw with a pin put enough force to start sliding the motor shaft out of the variator pulley. I did that about 5-8 turns worth and ran out of threads. Then I put a 1/4" bolt, 6 inches long, into the hole in place of the cap screw and pressed against it. It did buckle under the force, but I was able to thread it out once the shaft was pushed fully out of the pulley. Ideally, a 1/4" hardened pin or a grade 8 1/4" bolt 6" long would have been great.

I just purchased a 1983 Shizuoka AN-S mill. It has never been updated; however, the previous owner did purchase some hardware (PC motherboard interface card) and CamSoft software with the intention of upgrading it. He never got around to doing any of the work. So, I get all that stuff as well. For now, I am wondering if anyone has any documentation, manuals, drawings, schematics in an electronic form that they might be willing to share?

Thank you!

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneP View Post
    I just purchased a 1983 Shizuoka AN-S mill. It has never been updated; however, the previous owner did purchase some hardware (PC motherboard interface card) and CamSoft software with the intention of upgrading it. He never got around to doing any of the work. So, I get all that stuff as well. For now, I am wondering if anyone has any documentation, manuals, drawings, schematics in an electronic form that they might be willing to share?

Thank you!

Shane
    I might be able to help you.

Turn on your Private Messaging: Settings>General Setting>Messaging & Notifications
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I'm in the same situation - I have an AN-S that I picked up a few years ago but it has been sitting as I worked on other projects. I'm looking to circle back to it now and am also looking for the manuals/drawings/schematics. Some of the automatic oiler lines are bad and need renewing, so I'm planning on a fairly big tear down and cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by pugsly View Post
    I'm in the same situation - I have an AN-S that I picked up a few years ago but it has been sitting as I worked on other projects. I'm looking to circle back to it now and am also looking for the manuals/drawings/schematics. Some of the automatic oiler lines are bad and need renewing, so I'm planning on a fairly big tear down and cleaning.
    I don't have any mechanical manuals. The mechanics of the machine are straightforward, quite simple really. Pretty much like any other knee mill. Mine has an odd combination of both metric and imperial fasteners.

If you have a tool changer, I recommend removing it, it is useless. Somebody's really bad Idea. I completely rebuilt mine then realized it was useless. I would also make the veri-drive manually adjustable with a hand wheel rather than use the original motor driven system.

My AN-S came in with no electrical at all except a milk crate of SD servo drives and DC servo motors. So the schematics I have are ones I generated for a ground up controls retrofit. You are welcome to what I have if they will do you any good.

I'll be happy to try to answer any questions.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Turn on your Private Messaging: Settings>General Setting>Messaging & Notifications
    Jim,
    Thank you so much! I have turned on my private messaging!

ShaneP

I don't have any mechanical manuals. The mechanics of the machine are straightforward, quite simple really. Pretty much like any other knee mill. Mine has an odd combination of both metric and imperial fasteners.

If you have a tool changer, I recommend removing it, it is useless. Somebody's really bad Idea. I completely rebuilt mine then realized it was useless. I would also make the veri-drive manually adjustable with a hand wheel rather than use the original motor driven system.

My AN-S came in with no electrical at all except a milk crate of SD servo drives and DC servo motors. So the schematics I have are ones I generated for a ground up controls retrofit. You are welcome to what I have if they will do you any good.

I'll be happy to try to answer any questions.
    Thanks for the opinion on the ATC, mine doesn't have it but I'll know not to be tempted by one.

Mine has had the CNC controls ripped out and replaced with a more recent (but still old) system, so I'm probably going to be starting over there, just not worth messing around with.

The spindle motor looks to be fairly original (though it is a replacement/renewed with a different color paint) and is a 3 phase with a VFD, but the plastic housing for the VFD has disintegrated so I'll be replacing the VFD but hopefully not the motor.

It does have a power drawbar, but it is a DeWalt die grinder that is obviously a much later addition to the mill.

Right now my focus is on cleaning everything and repairing the oiling system. It has a Bijur TM-5 lubricator that I think I will be able to return to service. It also has a Showa one-shot oiler, so the actual lubrication is a bit of a mystery.

If you look at the 5th post in this thread you will find a link to the parts list, which is the closest thing you will get to a user manual for this machine. I have the actual user manual but it tells you almost nothing a user would wish to know. There is also a link to my blog where (if you go back near the beginning), you can see a lot of the work I did on mine. I have an AN-SB which is 90% the same machine apart from having a fixed pully / no varispeed.

That's not a die grinder, it's an impact driver. The original factory power drawbar used this arrangement. Yours may even be original, with a replacement driver. One thing that is missing from yours is the cylindrical cover for the PDB.

Page 1 of 2 12