585,975 active members*
4,520 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Parallel Breakout Board

Hi,
    Does anyone have a good source for a parallel breakout board. I have heard of the Axxus one's, how do they perform. Also, what does "opto-isolation" mean. I read it on another thread, something to do with not frying your computer or something? Also, does the Axxus board have "opto-isolation"?
    Thank you very much.
    I really appreciate it. :rainfro:

Sanghera, I was just about to post a question regarding the db1v20 pc interface board from "axxus" technologies. I have purchased it and I am trying to find out if it will work with "rutex" driver R990h system. I plan On driving three amtek motors with them (yes they are the infamous tape reel motors)
    If anyone has used the axxus board with rutex driver R990h I would greatly appreciate feed back.

As far as "opto-isolation" I don't believe the pc board is, Opto-isolation just means that there is no "physical connection" between the input and output of the signal. ie. you could have a low voltage input that signals controling larger voltages down stream away from sensitive electronics. It is also a way to have people or operators using push buttons ect.. that are a low voltage instead of higher voltages that could potentially harm them if the electrical circuit should fail.

I will try to pass on any more info about axxus, have you checked out their web page?
    menomana

I found the link to axxus technologies, maybe this will help you?

http://members.shaw.ca/axxus/db1v20info.htm
    menomana

Originally posted by trubleshtr
    As far as "opto-isolation" I don't believe the pc board is, Opto-isolation just means that there is no "physical connection" between the input and output of the signal.
    The quoted section is correct. In opto-isolation, the 'connection' is done using light (LED+Light Sensor).

BTW, the axxus board is NOT opto-isolated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test.jpg  
    Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

Ok, cool. So, do you think that I would need a breakout board with opto-isolation? What other Parallel Breakout Boards are there that anyone would suggest, or even to just check out.
    Thank you all for your replies.
    I really appreciate it.

Opto-isolation not a must. If something were to go wrong, most probably the breakout board will fry first. Just be extra careful when wiring-up your system I don't even use a breakout board but I triple check my wiring with voltmeter before connecting to the PC :banana:

"Opto-isolation not a must. If something were to go wrong, most probably the breakout board will fry first"

The worst thing that can go wrong is getting the motor voltage feeding through your breakout board. This could happen if the evil swarf lands on your stepper driver and causes a short. The breakout board without opto isolation will not fry because it contains only connections to your parallel port... it's the parallel port that would fry. If you are using a PC in a box you would have to replace the $15 parallel port board but if you are using a laptop ... bye laptop.

The good news is that most driver manufacturers have opto isolation between the motor power and the step/dir inputs. So if you are not machining anything conductive (eg. aluminum, brass, steel ) or if you go to great pains to protect your electronics then no problems.

I once found a tiny sliver of aluminum causing a short between my logic ground and chassis ground that kept my machine down with intermittent problems for almost a full day. Luckily no damage.

HTH Gary
    embrace enthusiasm to accomplish the task
    Gary Davies... www.durhamrobotics.com

Thank you very much for your reply.
    I really appreciate it. :rainfro:

Take note that some breakout board have buffer IC onboard but, like Gary says, some don't. Those without buffer IC will cause the parallel port to fry if something goes wrong

So, does that mean that I don't want buffer IC? Does the Axxus Parallel Breakout Board have Buffer IC.
    Also, if the Gecko has Optp-Isolation, does this mean that I don't need it for the Parallel Breakout Board.
    Thank you very much for the replies.
    I really appreciate it.

I would want one with buffer IC because it safeguard my parallel port. If the breakout board fry I can just buy new one to replace it.

If you are using gecko, IT IS opto-isolated; thus, ANY breakout board will do. No breakout board also fine. Gecko spec below:
    G201 FEATURES:
    0.3A to 7A phase current
    24V to 80V power supply
    10 microsteps per step
    Size 17 to 42 motors
    Mid-band resonance compensation
    Low-speed resonance nulling trimpot
    Auto current reduction
    200kHz max step rate
    <<<< Opto-isolated Step and Direction >>>>
    20W dissipation at 7A per phase
    Silent: 20kHz master oscillator PWM
    0C to 70C operating temperature
    Rugged: All n-channel TO-220 MOSFETs
    LED power indicator
    Small size: 2.5" by 2.5" by 0.82" (63mm by 63mm by 21mm)
    Light: 3.6 oz (100gm)
    Anodized aluminum package
    Modular 2-piece main connector

So, I'm sorry if I missed it, but does the Axxus or Gecko have Buffer IC?
    Thank you.

Gecko STEP/DIR input are opto-isolated, thus it is safe to connect directly to PC parallel port (even without the Axxus).

From the picture of Axxus, I only see one IC thus I cannot confirm what lines are buffered. Can you get Axxus to give you more info on the card, best is a schematic.

For info, you may need other signal apart from the STEP/DIR (eg. limit switches, emergency switch) to connect to the PC. These lines can also cause problem to the parallel port if fault occurs.

On side note, can you buy a separate parallel port card for your PC? It's probably cheaper if you can and don't have to worry about a breakout board at all

Thank you.
    Doesn't not having a breakout board complicate things a lot. I looked at the wiring with a breakout and it seems simple for a newbie like me, but I haven't really looked at wiring without a breakout board, is it much more difficult?
    Thank you very much for your help.
    I really appreciate it.

Main purpose of breakout board is to allow easy wiring. As shown in picture below (simplest breakout board with no ic) the breakout board 'change' the normal 25-pins connectors into an easy-to-connect terminals. Makes life easier of course BTW, the picture is from www.winfordeng.com

In my case, I just cut the end of the parallel port cable, figure out which wire is from which pins (by multimeter) and just connect it directly to the driver
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brk25.jpg  

Is it true that if I use my laptop and fry the parallel port that my laptop becomes useless?
    can you buy seperate parallel port boards for laptops that are cheap?

thanks
    menomana

Abasir, thanks for that link to that simple breakout board. I've been looking for something like that for a while.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Is it true that if I use my laptop and fry the parallel port that my laptop becomes useless?
    In most cases only the parallel port become useless but the laptop can still be used, but no printing possible via parallel port

BTW, if you are using Mach1/2 check out the following fully isolated breakout board (not cheap )
    http://www.campbelldesigns.com/breakout_board_plus.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mach2pcb.jpg  

If your laptop has USB port and you are running windows-based software (such as Mach2), you may want to try the following (not opto-isolated). If you happen to fry it, just buy a new one Link is http://www.sewelldirect.com/

BTW, take note that the end-connector is different so you may need to buy a 'Centronics-to-DB25M' converter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails usbtoparallel.jpg  

Originally posted by abasir
    BTW, take note that the end-connector is different so you may need to buy a 'Centronics-to-DB25M' converter.
    Sample below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9-adb25mcn36f.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12