584,846 active members*
4,532 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Huanyang GT VFD not starting issue

Huanyang GT VFD not starting issue

I am having a little trouble getting my spindle to start moving with my Huanyang GT series VFD and I just get an OC1 overcurrent protection error when I press Run. I was hoping that someone who is familiar with these units could point me in the right direction...

I got this unit a year ago and at the time, I input all the parameters and went through the set-up / auto tune process. It seemed to work as intended. The spindle was spinning during the auto tune and it completed the process as described in the book. Then I put my my CNC project on hold for a year. I tried turning it on today but I can't get any movement.

The VFD turns on ok with no error messages but when I turn the potentiometer the "trip" light comes on immediately with the "OC1" error.

First, how long do these units store settings? I.e. Do I need to factory reset, restart everything and go through the auto tune again? Or do the settings stay saved once the initial install process is complete?

What else should I check to see why it is not working and is there anything I can try to prevent the overload fault?

I'm not sure if it matters for this question but just in case, It is a 7.5kw GT series rated for 220v 1ph in, 3ph out. The circuit is 60 amp and the spindle is a 5.5kw 220v 3ph 19a 400hz / 24000 rpm 2 pole.

Re: Huanyang GT VFD not starting issue

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    I am having a little trouble getting my spindle to start moving with my Huanyang GT series VFD and I just get an OC1 overcurrent protection error when I press Run. I was hoping that someone who is familiar with these units could point me in the right direction...

I got this unit a year ago and at the time, I input all the parameters and went through the set-up / auto tune process. It seemed to work as intended. The spindle was spinning during the auto tune and it completed the process as described in the book. Then I put my my CNC project on hold for a year. I tried turning it on today but I can't get any movement.

The VFD turns on ok with no error messages but when I turn the potentiometer the "trip" light comes on immediately with the "OC1" error.

First, how long do these units store settings? I.e. Do I need to factory reset, restart everything and go through the auto tune again? Or do the settings stay saved once the initial install process is complete?

What else should I check to see why it is not working and is there anything I can try to prevent the overload fault?

I'm not sure if it matters for this question but just in case, It is a 7.5kw GT series rated for 220v 1ph in, 3ph out. The circuit is 60 amp and the spindle is a 5.5kw 220v 3ph 19a 400hz / 24000 rpm 2 pole.
    Parameters don't normally change once set

Check P0.11=10 start at 10sec and adjust down until you get a fault then take it up above where the fault is

You also may need to set P00.00=0 as it may be producing to much torque on startup with being set at ( 1 )

Check the incoming voltage this 7.5Kw is right at the max for single phase supply
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Parameters don't normally change once set

Check P0.11=10 start at 10sec and adjust down until you get a fault then take it up above where the fault is

You also may need to set P00.00=0 as it may be producing to much torque on startup with being set at ( 1 )

Check the incoming voltage this 7.5Kw is right at the max for single phase supply

I tried adjusting the start up time to 10 and then 14. It still OC1 trips. Should I try higher or should I assume that, if 14 still trips, then the issue is something else?

How do I check if 7.5kw is the incoming voltage? The spindle is 5.6kw at 24,000 rpm but I can't get it to even start moving. It trips at 0 rpm where the draw should be far less than 5.6kw. The circuit tester i have only confirms 220v. It has no options to check kw at the spindle or VFD. What device do you use?

I'll check P00.00 again. I think it might already be set to 0.

Is there anything else I can try? There seems to some settings related to overload protection but I assumed I was not meant to mess with those...

I tried adjusting the start up time to 10 and then 14. It still OC1 trips. Should I try higher or should I assume that, if 14 still trips, then the issue is something else?

How do I check if 7.5kw is the incoming voltage? The spindle is 5.6kw at 24,000 rpm but I can't get it to even start moving. It trips at 0 rpm where the draw should be far less than 5.6kw. The circuit tester i have only confirms 220v. It has no options to check kw at the spindle or VFD. What device do you use?

I'll check P00.00 again. I think it might already be set to 0.

Is there anything else I can try? There seems to some settings related to overload protection but I assumed I was not meant to mess with those...
    Is your spindle water cooled or air cooled
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Is your spindle water cooled or air cooled
    It is electric fan cooled. It uses a seperate 24v PSU.

It is electric fan cooled. It uses a seperate 24v PSU.
    Check that all your parameters are set correct

These are what you need set
    Mactec54
    400Hz 220v 5.5Kw Water Cooled Spindle Settings

P0.00=0 ( 0 for V/ F Control 1 For Vector Control )

P0.01=0 ( 0 For KeyPad 1 For Remote Terminal Use )

P0.02=3

P0.03=400

P0.04=400

P0.05=120 ( you may be able to go lower depending on Spindle Temperature 100 Minimum )

P0.06=400

P0.11=8 ( adjustable Acceleration )

P0.12=8 ( adjustable Deceleration )

P0.14= 6 ( 6 to 8 )

P0.17= ( 1 to Restore Factory Defaults ) ( 2 clears all Faults )

P1.01=10

P2.01=5.5 ( Motor Settings )

P2.02=400

P2.03=24000

P2.04=220

P2.05=19.5

P7.14=7.5 ( VFD Rated KW )

P7.15= ?? ( VFD Rated output Amps )

Once these Parameters are set, you can then do a Autotune, you set Parameter P016=1 and Press Run, ( The Spindle Must Be Clear To Run )

For main wiring connect R Hot T Hot wires and Ground to the Ground Terminal, this is your connection for NA 240v single Phase

Is the spindle Ground wire connected ???
    Mactec54

The spindle ground wire is connected. There is a wire going from the ground screw on the spindle to the ground screw on the VFD. There is a second wire going from the ground screw on the VFD to the ground pin on the wall outlet plug. This seemed correct but I have never been 100% sure as every video or thread I looked at showed different wiring....

I'll check all those settings again. As I already ran the auto tune last year, should I factory reset before running the auto tune again or is it ok to run it without a full reset?

The spindle ground wire is connected. There is a wire going from the ground screw on the spindle to the ground screw on the VFD. There is a second wire going from the ground screw on the VFD to the ground pin on the wall outlet plug. This seemed correct but I have never been 100% sure as every video or thread I looked at showed different wiring....

I'll check all those settings again. As I already ran the auto tune last year, should I factory reset before running the auto tune again or is it ok to run it without a full reset?
    You never want to be looking at videos they will get you into trouble, the only thing they can be good for is to watch how they do the settings with the buttons, there are very few that have the correct anything else yes they work but are never really setup correctly

If you do a factory reset that will reset any possible Parameters that where set before and may be there is one that has a problem, anything is worth a try at this point

So do a reset and then reinstall this parameter list, you can try it before auto tune and after auto tune

How do you have the input power wired ???
    Mactec54

Ok I think I made some progress. I removed all the wiring, did a factory reset and did everything again. Now, when I press "Run" the spindle starts moving although I still have some minor issues to work through. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it but I obviously made a mistake somewhere with the wiring or settings.

It seems to start at 400hz / 24,000 and it only allows me to adjust it down very slowly with the up and down arrow keys. I can't use the potentiometer to adjust the speed up or down (although the pot does seem to work for other non-related functions...).

I used the list of settings you gave me gave me when I redid the set-up. Can I adjust one of them to make it start at 12,000 or 9,000 instead of going right to top speed? And, is there a setting that allows me to adjust the speed with the pot as well as (or instead of) the arrow keys?

Thanks for the settings list. It was more useful than the entire user manual and it allowed me to redo everything very quickly.

Ok I think I made some progress. I removed all the wiring, did a factory reset and did everything again. Now, when I press "Run" the spindle starts moving although I still have some minor issues to work through. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it but I obviously made a mistake somewhere with the wiring or settings.

It seems to start at 400hz / 24,000 and it only allows me to adjust it down very slowly with the up and down arrow keys. I can't use the potentiometer to adjust the speed up or down (although the pot does seem to work for other non-related functions...).

I used the list of settings you gave me gave me when I redid the set-up. Can I adjust one of them to make it start at 12,000 or 9,000 instead of going right to top speed? And, is there a setting that allows me to adjust the speed with the pot as well as (or instead of) the arrow keys?

Thanks for the settings list. It was more useful than the entire user manual and it allowed me to redo everything very quickly.
    If you set Parameter P0.02=0 it will remember the last speed it was run at

To use the Pot you need to jumper J1 1-2 pins only these 2 pins to be jumpered
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J1 Pot Control.PNG   J1 Pot Control location.PNG  
    Mactec54

That seems straight forward enough. Thanks.

I can't believe this CNC build is nearly finished finally.

How to factory reset your VFD? because mine doesn't allow it, I don't have voltage on my output for the spindle

Quote Originally Posted by alinculin View Post
    How to factory reset your VFD? because mine doesn't allow it, I don't have voltage on my output for the spindle
    Factory reset should not be used for a reset for an output voltage

What terminal are you wanting voltage from and for what
    Mactec54