584,866 active members*
5,228 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > wiring inside the electronics cabinet

wiring inside the electronics cabinet

I have shielded cable(limits and motors) coming to 5 pin aircraft plugs on the side of my cabinet. Do need to run shielded cable inside the cabinet from the plugs to where ever the cables are going?
    Thanks

Re: wiring inside the electronics cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by tkms002 View Post
    I have shielded cable(limits and motors) coming to 5 pin aircraft plugs on the side of my cabinet. Do need to run shielded cable inside the cabinet from the plugs to where ever the cables are going?
    Thanks
    In some cases it does not need it if you use twisted pairs, inside the cabinet, it is always better not to use connectors and run the cable through cable restraints ( Glands ) and direct wire inside to drives Etc
    Mactec54

I wanted to be able to disconnect the cabinet in case I had to do something with it.
    What do you recommend?

If using military style (MS) connectors, or similar, I generally use one pin for the shield, if needed, and take the enclosure side connector shield pin to the ground connector or star point, which ever is closer.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    If using military style (MS) connectors, or similar, I generally use one pin for the shield, if needed, and take the enclosure side connector shield pin to the ground connector or star point, which ever is closer.
    Al.
    I have the shield connected to the metal connector body and that is connected to the chassis which is grounded to a ground bus bar.
    Not using a pin but rather the entire connector body.

That's one way, should be sufficient.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I wanted to be able to disconnect the cabinet in case I had to do something with it.
    What do you recommend?
    Going with correctly installed connectors is the only right way to build a panel. Grommets are old school. Organize wiring inside the cabinet keeping the low voltage and signal cables away from the power wiring. Power wiring always came in at the bottom in conduit and left the same way.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

ericks Guest

Good quality connectors that are rated for the correct current and voltage requirements are important. Also any cables you use must also be rated accordingly

What do you recommend?
    If your Plugs are good quality they will be fine and the way you have done them with the shield termination is the correct way to do it, from the plugs inside just use twisted pairs where ever you can
    Mactec54

thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If your Plugs are good quality they will be fine and the way you have done them with the shield termination is the correct way to do it, from the plugs inside just use twisted pairs where ever you can
    ok for the limit switch wiring inside the cabinet I just ran a length of cat6 cable using a pair for each limit switch axis from the cabinet mounted connector to the arduino pins.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Now, for the motor wiring I cant use cat6 cable as it is to small so can I just twist up some 18ga wire for each motor? 5 amps so 18ga should be enough.

Thanks

ok for the limit switch wiring inside the cabinet I just ran a length of cat6 cable using a pair for each limit switch axis from the cabinet mounted connector to the arduino pins.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Now, for the motor wiring I cant use cat6 cable as it is to small so can I just twist up some 18ga wire for each motor? 5 amps so 18ga should be enough.

Thanks
    You could try and use the 18ga as twisted pairs, cat6 is fine for limits just Ground the shields at the source end for these wires
    Mactec54