584,805 active members*
5,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Linear encoder recommendation

Hi guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for incremental linear encoders to add to each axis on my Pulsar mill. I'm hoping for something that will have at least 0.1 thou precision and good repeatability. I'm also looking for something that will be trouble free - I don't want to be susceptible to dirt or debris. I have gotten quotes from Newall and Celera Motion for systems. Do you have any recommendations for or against a particular brand or style of linear encoder (magnetic/optical/inductive)?

Thanks for your help!

Micah

Re: Linear encoder recommendation

The inductive type are more impervious to contamination, but more $$$'s .
    Unless you have close to zero backlash, you may get some oscillation when positioning.
    Are you using dual feedback, i.e. motor encoder And scale?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hey Al,

Thanks for all your help so far. My goal is to use a dual feedback with servos closed in their drives and then linear encoders communicating with the main controller. This will be with a LinuxCNC setup that I'm still working the details through.

The inductive ones looked pretty neat, but they were almost twice the cost of the Celera optical encoders. If people tend to have issues with dirt causing bad readings in the optical sensors, I would probably pay up for the inductive ones to avoid the headaches.

Micah

There is a video on the Galil Motion site by Dr Jacob Tal on tuning a dual encoder/scale, where the PID loop is paired with both.
    Registration is required to see the videos, however.
    The optical scales can be cleaned with ordinary lens cleaner from an opticians
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have 1 micron magnetic encoders on my equipment. They have been working very well for me for a few years. Seem to be impervious to coolants and flying chips. I use both Ditron (a Renishaw Chinese clone) and Renishaw. Renishaw on my mill and Ditron on my lathe. I can find no difference in the units.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by burbingus View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for incremental linear encoders to add to each axis on my Pulsar mill. I'm hoping for something that will have at least 0.1 thou precision and good repeatability. I'm also looking for something that will be trouble free - I don't want to be susceptible to dirt or debris. I have gotten quotes from Newall and Celera Motion for systems. Do you have any recommendations for or against a particular brand or style of linear encoder (magnetic/optical/inductive)?

Thanks for your help!

Micah
    Newall is excellent would be my choice, I have Newall on one of my lathes .0001" resolution so .0005 is there basic model so very easy to get your .001" these will handle anything you can through at it, no covers needed coolant oil chips no problem
    Mactec54