584,861 active members*
5,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Poly v Belt power transmission

I am putting a 5hp baldor ZDM3665T motor on to my BOSS cnc mill retrofit. The main idea here is to get the electronic speed range for the 2hp rating of the spindle. I may start using more power IF I monitor the bearings in the head and aren't getting to warm. You can see from calculations that this motor gives 2hp over the same speed range as the OEM variable speed drive does. I want to use a poly v belt and I cannot seem to find any literature on the load calculations for it! For standard v belt this is available no problem. Can anyone help?

Attachment 426486
    Attachment 426488

Re: Poly v Belt power transmission

Quote Originally Posted by dbsharp View Post
    I am putting a 5hp baldor ZDM3665T motor on to my BOSS cnc mill retrofit. The main idea here is to get the electronic speed range for the 2hp rating of the spindle. I may start using more power IF I monitor the bearings in the head and aren't getting to warm. You can see from calculations that this motor gives 2hp over the same speed range as the OEM variable speed drive does. I want to use a poly v belt and I cannot seem to find any literature on the load calculations for it! For standard v belt this is available no problem. Can anyone help?

Attachment 426486
    Attachment 426488
    I have always used the J series Poly-V-Belts 8 to 10 Rib 12 Rib is standard, 10 Rib which have been very successful with 5Hp with a minimum of 4" pulley Dia, some Belt suppliers will slit the Belts to how many ribs you want here is some information

A Boss 5 Mill with the standard 3Hp motor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poly-V-Belt Pulley Tec.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mactec54

Thanks! I've been digging for some time on this and found an Italian vendor of v belts that published load ratings. Made a spreadsheet for this.

Quote Originally Posted by dbsharp View Post
    Thanks! I've been digging for some time on this and found an Italian vendor of v belts that published load ratings. Made a spreadsheet for this.
    Do you have any other file formats like PDF not many will be able to open xls
    Mactec54

done, no calc though... as its a PDF, so a brief explanation. Column headers (green) are pulley diameter for that column, Row headers (green) are pulley RPM for that row, numbers in matrix (white) are the kW power ratings per rib of the belt for that combination of Pulley size and RPM.

Flows like this:
    select pulley size and RPM: Let's pick 100mm dia @ 1800 RPM.

Find the intersection point of the column and row: 1.171 kW/Rib

Multiply buy number of ribs in belt: let's say 8 ribs

8X1.171= 9.368 kW

I do not speak for this manufacturers data, but I would treat this as design power, or the max under ideal conditions. For V belts, it seems 1.5 to 1.8 design safety factor is prefered for most applications readers of this thread would use this for.

So then 9.368 kW / 1.8 = 5.2 kW.