584,814 active members*
5,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    Shabalala Guest

How Is This Possible?

How would this be manufactured?

https://www.my737ng.com/hardware/sim...ontrol-column/

Single piece of metal, hollow (to allow for wiring). I don't have one to dissect, so I'm not sure if it's two pieces that are welded together and then sanded smooth, but I have a feeling it's cast somehow as a single piece, but how would you get the hollow middle?

Any ideas?

Re: How Is This Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Shabalala View Post
    How would this be manufactured?

https://www.my737ng.com/hardware/sim...ontrol-column/

Single piece of metal, hollow (to allow for wiring). I don't have one to dissect, so I'm not sure if it's two pieces that are welded together and then sanded smooth, but I have a feeling it's cast somehow as a single piece, but how would you get the hollow middle?

Any ideas?
    Says its made in Fibreglass not metal - so obvious way is two part mold either done separately and joined or joined 'wet' as a single assembly.

If it was metal it could be tumble cast - pour measured quantity of metal into mould then 'tumble turn it through all axis to coat the mold walls whilst leaving void internally! Or traditional lost wax type casting..........many ways to skin a cat!

Shabalala Guest

The one that's made in the link is fibreglass. The real one is made of metal.

Thanks for the suggestions, will research in that direction!

It says its made of resin so probably a tube (metal or plastic) is placed inside the mould that creates the wiring path, then resin is injected into the mould and around the tubes. The steering metal insert is also co-moulded. Cheers Peter

Sand casting, investment casting, or metal injection molding are all possibilities.

Shabalala Guest

Thanks, looks like home made isn't the name of the game for this, but still looking into this. Fibreglass is always an option.

3D Printed SLS could be an option... I know an SLS company that has been doing custom racing wheels by SLS for formula 1. It wouldn't surprise me if real thing is... or it may not be a single piece for the official unit?