584,817 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Milltronics Partner 4 conversion to Centroid All in One CNC control...it is ALIVE!!!
Page 1 of 2 12

Milltronics Partner 4 conversion to Centroid All in One CNC control...it is ALIVE!!!

Well, we got tired of the limitations of the old control and decided to take the plunge and convert to the Centroid All In One control. There was quite bit of prep work getting new wiring for limit switches on hand, making a motor mount for one of the new servos and all the assorted other gathering in preparation. But, we were running parts last Tuesday, finished up a job that Karen was running and started cleaning and such on Wednesday and Thursday, unconnected the front control panel and the servo motors on Friday, and a friend of mine (who is the Centroid Installer for AZ) showed up with another friend and my son came also, and we completed the taking off of the Milltronics parts and replacement of the Centroid parts on Saturday, had the new Servo's mounted. Finished the new wiring for limit switches and replaced all the airlines on Sunday, while Marty was hooking up all the wiring for the new control.

By the afternoon we had the axis motors checked for proper direction, put the belts on and checked all the limit switches, set homing procedures, calibrated the axis to get the proper distance exactly as commanded, ran self tests and auto-tuned the servo motors. By the end of the day, we have a functioning machine again! Pretty incredible in my opinion. We still have to put the belt covers back over the motors, re-install the front way cover (I got new rubber for the Y axis front and back) and clean up from the work and we should be back to learning the new control and running parts.

I have already run some testing on converted Centroid controls on a few other machines, so not completely unfamiliar, so I don't expect any issues. I have a Google photo album of the machine from when I bought it to yesterday, and will add more pictures as we go along if anybody would like to look:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xzqgfdrsc5qYnDHz8

Oh, We will also have a whole Centurion V control system, servos and associated parts for sale, if anybody wants spare parts.... let me know.

Re: Milltronics Partner 4 conversion to Centroid All in One CNC control...it is ALIVE

What is the servo auto-tune procedure like? Is it automatic?

Re: Milltronics Partner 4 conversion to Centroid All in One CNC control...it is ALIVE

Yes, it is automatic. You run a system test, that checks the limits switches, index pulse on the servos and such first. We had to reset the pulley on the /y axis as the index marker was too close to the limit switch. Did that and passed the system test on the second go thru of it and then we did the auto-tune procedure on the servo's. From what I understand that can be a hit and miss procedure, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Did they want the table loaded down with vices and such for the test? Though that would not make much difference.

I don't know, I had a 6" Kurt up there though...

Hi Brian, What options did the M-39 have Do you have unlimited file size Macros etc I would be interested in total cost for options verses upgrading to a sbc milltronics .

The reason I am inquiring is that I have 2 milltronics mills and 1 centroid lathe conversion and previously the extra cost options have been massive in cost for the centroid verses the milltronics upgrade path.

Point in case I purchased an used probe with the Milltronics digitizing software for 450 verses the centroid system for close to 5000

I have a acorn board with ultimate option with digitizing and are awaiting for the expansion board option to retrofit a Hass Vfo I have to evaluate the end result verses a closed loop All in one Dc optioned out total software package verses a acorn open loop system.

I can't tell you pricing, for that you would have to talk to Centroid direct. My control was a used purchase that somebody gave up on with another machine. I believe I have unlimited program length and the tool setter software (don't have that hooked up yet), but no on the digitizing.

There are other probe options out there for the machines, although the Centroid version looks nice and is still cheaper than a Renishaw or such. As for a SBC vs Centroid, aren't you still going to have file size limits and trouble running large programs with the SBC? If you already have the optioned out Acorn, from what I understand the expansion board isn't too far out there, that seems like it might be the way to go. I am pretty sure with the right combination you can "close the loop" using an Acorn, although most of that get's over my head, I'm not an electronics guy.

Hi Brian,

I don't have a file size limit as when I did my diy sbc upgrade I networked thru dos to a xp file server and just pull my cad files to the cf drives on the milltronics and have run 6 Megabit files with no issues. The issue I am concerned with is the lack of reliable C5 replacement boards.

I converted one to a C6 control that I have $1250 in I with the latest milltronics software upgrade, which was $650 with the software from milltronics and their tech support to iron out the issues.

I agree if I can get the atc changer on the Hass operational with my Acorn with the expansion board will be the most economical path, and have obtainable replacement parts.

Well, the lack of reliable replacement parts is what drove my conversion. I have a bunch of spare parts saved up, but still, it's all 27 year old stuff. Being able to use a current Window10 as the front end and the Centroid does all the motion control, so you aren't at the mercy of windows problems, works for me. Of course, I'm just getting started on this, so ask me in a month what I think. I have done some testing on the Acorn converted machines for a friend of mine and they seem pretty easy to manage.

Just an update, the conversion went very smoothly, main portion done in one weekend, another day or less of some extra bits and pieces and we are back up and running. Runs smoothly, no issues and very easy to get used to the new control.

We put a video up on youtube of my wife running the next operation on the parts.

https://youtu.be/4K0XwSWvfWU

Hi awesome job on your Conversion I have many questions I have the exact mill that you show in your video.
    How much did it cost to convert it and what all parts are needed

I couldn't possibly list all the components, I built a ton of the stuff, pendant to hold monitor and computer. Had to modify the mounts for the servos, make seal-tite connectors for the servos.

As for costs of the Centroid portion, you would have to talk to a Centroid dealer or Centroid themselves. Each install has too many variables to give a blanket cost. I will say it has been the best thing I could have done, very easy to use control and really like not running into limitations when I'm using it. I have a tool length setter and the wireless MPG which are great and really speed things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
    Well, we got tired of the limitations of the old control and decided to take the plunge and convert to the Centroid All In One control. There was quite bit of prep work getting new wiring for limit switches on hand, making a motor mount for one of the new servos and all the assorted other gathering in preparation. But, we were running parts last Tuesday, finished up a job that Karen was running and started cleaning and such on Wednesday and Thursday, unconnected the front control panel and the servo motors on Friday, and a friend of mine (who is the Centroid Installer for AZ) showed up with another friend and my son came also, and we completed the taking off of the Milltronics parts and replacement of the Centroid parts on Saturday, had the new Servo's mounted. Finished the new wiring for limit switches and replaced all the airlines on Sunday, while Marty was hooking up all the wiring for the new control.

By the afternoon we had the axis motors checked for proper direction, put the belts on and checked all the limit switches, set homing procedures, calibrated the axis to get the proper distance exactly as commanded, ran self tests and auto-tuned the servo motors. By the end of the day, we have a functioning machine again! Pretty incredible in my opinion. We still have to put the belt covers back over the motors, re-install the front way cover (I got new rubber for the Y axis front and back) and clean up from the work and we should be back to learning the new control and running parts.

I have already run some testing on converted Centroid controls on a few other machines, so not completely unfamiliar, so I don't expect any issues. I have a Google photo album of the machine from when I bought it to yesterday, and will add more pictures as we go along if anybody would like to look:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xzqgfdrsc5qYnDHz8

Oh, We will also have a whole Centurion V control system, servos and associated parts for sale, if anybody wants spare parts.... let me know.
    Hi there i do you still have the centurion v controller and parts for sale?

Hi I saw that you had posted on this forum that you have a centurion v controller and other parts for sell do you still have it
    Hope to hear from you
    Dcam1986
    [email protected]

No, that was a year and a half ago, all gone now.

O well you never now thank you for the reply though com one other question I have I have the identical comet mill well mine is model 1632 And I have been searching for a manual for it and I am in extreme dire need of a wiring schematic for the centurion IV controller panel You won it by chance have one I would be willing to pay for a copy and/or the software to re install into the controller board

O well you never now thank you for the reply though com one other question I have I have the identical comet mill well mine is model 1632 And I have been searching for a manual for it and I am in extreme dire need of a wiring schematic for the centurion IV controller panel You won it by chance have one I would be willing to pay for a copy and/or the software to re install into the controller board

No schematic but i do have a copy of this

Only Centurion V stuff, nothing that pertains to Centurion IV.

Quote Originally Posted by rl49 View Post
    No schematic but i do have a copy of this
    Thank you for the People shooting guide it will help me with the couple's issues I'm having

Page 1 of 2 12