585,930 active members*
3,605 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

Hi Folks

I thought a thread on Slant Pro tooling tips and tricks would be useful. Please add your tips and tricks below.

Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fejgakqraes&t=632s

Re: Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

I order some of the EZE laps for touching up bits - great idea.

I've never had any issue using the more standard 0.120" parting blades. All of Tormach's offerings are either GTN 3 (0.120") or GTN 4 (0.160").

My biggest trouble has been with chip welding when parting AL. I've given up trying to find a good insert & have resorted to HHS. Yeah coolant helps but it's still a problem for me, hence the EZE-Laps ...

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    I order some of the EZE laps for touching up bits - great idea.

I've never had any issue using the more standard 0.120" parting blades. All of Tormach's offerings are either GTN 3 (0.120") or GTN 4 (0.160").

My biggest trouble has been with chip welding when parting AL. I've given up trying to find a good insert & have resorted to HHS. Yeah coolant helps but it's still a problem for me, hence the EZE-Laps ...

Hi - You get chip width collasp with these industrial parting tips, that helps a lot, but all the same it can sometimes weld on some soft grades of alum. I have decided not to part softer than 6061 - 6061 is fine. Cliff

Not sure if this falls into “tooling/tips” but is a good (tip?) info for all tormach lathe owners with turret option. (Edit: I can also start a new thread elsewhere if it’s not relevant here.)

I’ve owned my Tormach lathe with turret for about 3 years. One of the first wear items on my machine have been the turret coolant nozzle brass balls coming loose/falling out. It looks like its inevitable for all of them.

Tormach doesn’t offer any replacement assembly (with plastic sleeve).

Dunno if it’s already been posted but

QPM part #SB09520

Is a direct replacement. No extra honing or modification needed. Simply clean out the hole and press fit. Fits nice and snug. The ball friction is a lot stiffer than OEM too - which I prefer.

Hope that helps. I wish I had this info last year.
    Here are some pics. It’s not flush like OEM but isn’t an issue.

Attachment 426738Attachment 426736Attachment 426734Attachment 426732Attachment 426730

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sareks2k View Post
    Not sure if this falls into “tooling/tips” but is a good (tip?) info for all tormach lathe owners with turret option. (Edit: I can also start a new thread elsewhere if it’s not relevant here.)

I’ve owned my Tormach lathe with turret for about 3 years. One of the first wear items on my machine have been the turret coolant nozzle brass balls coming loose/falling out. It looks like its inevitable for all of them.

Tormach doesn’t offer any replacement assembly (with plastic sleeve).

Dunno if it’s already been posted but

QPM part #SB09520

Is a direct replacement. No extra honing or modification needed. Simply clean out the hole and press fit. Fits nice and snug. The ball friction is a lot stiffer than OEM too - which I prefer.

Hope that helps. I wish I had this info last year.
    Here are some pics. It’s not flush like OEM but isn’t an issue.

Attachment 426738Attachment 426736Attachment 426734Attachment 426732Attachment 426730

Thanks ! I have that trouble also. QPM Canada I see - do they sell on ebay or Amazon? Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Thanks ! I have that trouble also. QPM Canada I see - do they sell on ebay or Amazon? Cliff
    Haven’t seen them on amazon. eBay is possible.

I bought mine from

https://globalcnc.com under “coolant nozzles”

They first had me check with my local MSC store. But after MSC took too long to call them, they sold it to me direct.

Let me know if you have issues getting them. Now that they fit without issues, I’m going to place another order to replace the others. I can put an order in for you. They’re about $45 for 5 pcs.

FWIW, I’m in southern CA.

Paul

Paul - do you know if those fit the original SB-15 turrets? The currently sold turret dates from about 3 years ago, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Paul - do you know if those fit the original SB-15 turrets? The currently sold turret dates from about 3 years ago, I think.
    Hey MH!

I’m not sure Tormach wasn’t very helpful with any part numbers or replacement parts.

I’ll measure the ID and get back to you tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Sareks2k View Post
    Hey MH!

I’m not sure Tormach wasn’t very helpful with any part numbers or replacement parts.

I’ll measure the ID and get back to you tomorrow

I went ahead and ordered some of the QPM coolant nozzles after measuring the coolant fitting ball diameter on Tormach's turret (10 mm) and decided on the BB11012 part numbers, which are angled balls. It looks like they will work well for boring and internal slotting tools, and possibly parting or grooving tools, but not on any of my external turning tools. The coolant spray would just hit the back of the toolholder and little coolant would make it to the actual cut.

I'll take a look at their other offerings and see if any of them might work better for external tools. I'm hoping to avoid having to drill and bore out the hole for the press-fit nozzles.

Mike

Sorry my tomorrow turned into 3 days
    (In case it’s hard to see, I’m measuring without the plastic sleeve)

Let us know how the angled balls fit!

Interesting - you have the newer turret, which apparently uses sockets for 12 mm balls whereas my "Series 1" turret takes 10 mm coolant balls. Your sockets are also oriented "above" the cutter whereas mine are are on the other side of the tool block, making it harder to properly direct the coolant. Makes me wish I'd waited for the newer turret to be released partially for better coolant direction but also because my turret tools don't seem to repeat tool offset very well, which makes it hard to get consistent dimensions on any job that has more than 1 turret tool change.